Simple Kirchhoff Loop problem with inductor

In summary, the conversation is discussing a specific part of a larger circuit and the voltage drops and rises that occur in the circuit. The person asking for help is trying to determine the voltage at point A and whether they are correct in their calculations. They are also seeking help with similar problems involving capacitors and understanding when voltage drops and rises.
GPhab

Homework Statement

Just refer to the figure. The part shown is a part of a big circuit which you and anybody else shouldn't worry about.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered the battery terminals to be at 10 and 0V respectively. So the farther end of the resistor should be at 5V. An inductor produces a back EMF, which means that along the direction of current, there is a voltage drop. Therefore, A will be at 5V. So V(a)-V(b)=0. Am I right? I would be grateful to anyone who can help me solve similar problems, especially the ones which involve capacitors too. When does the "voltage" drop and when does it rise?

Attachments

• homecirc.JPG
    homecirc.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
First, we need to decide which way the current's flowing, although for this problem it doesn't seem to make a difference. Let's say the current goes from right to left, point B to point A. As you go across the resistor, battery, and inductor, you'll have certain voltage drops or rises. I think you forgot about the voltage drop across the battery.

I didn't

Related to Simple Kirchhoff Loop problem with inductor

1. What is Kirchhoff's loop rule?

Kirchhoff's loop rule, also known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

2. What is an inductor in a circuit?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire and is often used in circuits to control the flow of current and to store energy.

3. How do you solve a simple Kirchhoff loop problem with an inductor?

To solve a simple Kirchhoff loop problem with an inductor, you must first identify all the components in the circuit and label their polarities. Then, use Kirchhoff's loop rule to write an equation for the sum of voltages around the loop. Finally, use Ohm's law and the equation for the voltage across an inductor to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What happens to the current in an inductor when the power source is turned off?

When the power source is turned off in a circuit containing an inductor, the inductor will continue to allow current to flow temporarily. This is due to the inductor's ability to store energy in its magnetic field. The current will gradually decrease as the energy is dissipated through the circuit.

5. Can Kirchhoff's loop rule be applied to circuits with multiple loops?

Yes, Kirchhoff's loop rule can be applied to circuits with multiple loops. Each loop must be analyzed separately, and the sum of voltages around each loop must equal zero. This means that the voltage drops and gains in each loop must be taken into account when writing and solving the equations.