Simple least squares regression problem. Am I doing anything wrongly?

In summary, the given information describes a least squares regression model of Y on A-D with a sample size of 506. The estimated coefficients and standard errors are provided, and the R^2 value indicates the proportion of variation in Y that can be explained by the independent variables. The problem also involves hypotheses testing and constructing a confidence interval for the coefficient on D.
bobthebanana
Least squares regression of Y on A-D based on sample size of 506

Y = 11.08 - 0.954*A - 0.134*B + 0.255*C - 0.052*D
s.errs (0.32) (0.117) (0.043) (0.019) (0.006)

R^2 = 0.581

problem A. Test null that coefficient on D is equal to 0
d = coefficient on D
null: D ~ N(0, 0.006)
Pr(d >= 0.052) = 1 - normalcdf(0.052 / 0.006) = 0
reject

problem B. Construct 95% confidence interval for coefficient on D
0.052 +/- 1.96*(0.006 / sqrt(506))

problem C. What is the probability that this interval contains the true population regression coefficient on D?
? just 95%?

The problem gives a lot of info and I only use very little of it, which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrongly. Am I?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer some clarification and additional information to the points you have raised.

Firstly, the equation provided is a least squares regression model, which means that it is used to estimate the relationship between the dependent variable (Y) and the independent variables (A-D) based on the given sample data. The coefficients (0.954, 0.134, 0.255, and 0.052) represent the estimated effect of each independent variable on the dependent variable, and the standard errors (0.32, 0.117, 0.043, 0.019, and 0.006) represent the uncertainty in these estimates. The R^2 value (0.581) indicates the proportion of variation in the dependent variable that can be explained by the independent variables.

Now, moving on to your questions:

A. Testing the null hypothesis that the coefficient on D is equal to 0 means that we are testing whether there is a significant relationship between D and Y. In this case, we can use the t-test to determine the p-value, which is the probability of obtaining a coefficient of 0.052 or higher if the true coefficient is actually 0. If this p-value is less than the chosen significance level (usually 0.05), we can reject the null hypothesis and conclude that there is a significant relationship between D and Y.

B. To construct a 95% confidence interval for the coefficient on D, we can use the formula you have provided. This interval represents the range of values within which the true population regression coefficient on D is likely to fall with 95% confidence.

C. As you have correctly stated, the probability that this interval contains the true population regression coefficient on D is 95%.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts and calculations involved in this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Simple least squares regression problem. Am I doing anything wrongly?

1. What is the purpose of a simple least squares regression problem?

A simple least squares regression problem is used to find the line of best fit for a set of data points. It helps to determine the relationship between two variables and predict future values based on this relationship.

2. How do I know if my data is suitable for a simple least squares regression?

To determine if your data is suitable for a simple least squares regression, you can plot a scatter plot of your data points and visually check for a linear relationship between the variables. You can also calculate the correlation coefficient, which should be close to 1 for a strong linear relationship.

3. Can I use a simple least squares regression for non-linear relationships?

No, a simple least squares regression is only suitable for linear relationships. If your data shows a non-linear relationship, you may need to use a different regression method such as polynomial regression.

4. How do I interpret the results of a simple least squares regression?

The results of a simple least squares regression include the intercept and slope of the line of best fit. The intercept represents the value of the dependent variable when the independent variable is 0, and the slope represents the change in the dependent variable for every unit change in the independent variable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing a simple least squares regression?

Some common mistakes to avoid when performing a simple least squares regression include using a non-linear relationship, not checking for outliers, and assuming causation based on correlation. It is important to thoroughly understand the assumptions and limitations of the method before applying it to your data.