Simple (macroscopic) Cantilever in a Fluid with COMSOL

In summary, the conversation discusses using COMSOL to find the eigenfrequencies or resonant frequencies of a simple cantilever in water or air. The person is looking for a simpler problem to increase their understanding of the software, as most examples provided by COMSOL are of more complex systems. They also bump the conversation for any potential responses.
awesomginger
So I feel like this should be a simpler problem than most with COMSOL...

I have a simple cantilever (anchored at one end) with a force at some point source which is making it vibrate at some frequency. This is a macroscopic cantilever, so you can ignore viscosity (and most of the other Navier Stokes things). It is in a fluid, say water or air, for now. How can I find the eigenfrequencies, or resonant frequencies of that cantilever in water?

Like I said, it seems as if it should be easy. All the examples that COMSOL provides seem to be of very complex things. It is great that they are showing off their software and all it's power, but I would love to know how to do this to increase my understanding of the software.

Thanks very much to any responses in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
bump...

I'll bump one more time for good measure.

Related to Simple (macroscopic) Cantilever in a Fluid with COMSOL

1. What is a simple (macroscopic) cantilever in a fluid?

A simple (macroscopic) cantilever in a fluid is a structure that consists of a beam or plate that is fixed at one end and free at the other, immersed in a fluid. It is commonly used in engineering and physics as a model system for studying fluid-structure interactions.

2. What is COMSOL and how is it used in studying simple cantilevers in a fluid?

COMSOL is a finite element analysis software that allows users to simulate and analyze various physical phenomena. In the case of simple cantilevers in a fluid, COMSOL can be used to model the fluid flow around the cantilever and the resulting structural response. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the system and can aid in design optimization.

3. How does the fluid affect the behavior of a simple cantilever?

The presence of a fluid can significantly affect the behavior of a simple cantilever. The fluid flow around the cantilever can cause forces such as drag and lift, which can affect the displacement, stresses, and vibrations of the cantilever. Additionally, the stiffness of the fluid can also affect the natural frequency of the cantilever.

4. What are some practical applications of studying simple cantilevers in a fluid?

Studying simple cantilevers in a fluid has many practical applications. It can be used to understand and optimize the design of structures such as bridges, wind turbines, and aircraft wings. It is also useful in the development of microfluidic devices and biomedical devices, where fluid-structure interactions play a crucial role.

5. Are there any limitations to using a simple cantilever model in a fluid?

While a simple cantilever model in a fluid can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is a simplified representation of a complex system. The behavior of a real-world structure in a fluid may be affected by additional factors such as turbulence, non-linearity, and viscous effects. Therefore, the results obtained from a simple cantilever model should be interpreted with caution and may require further validation with experimental data.