Simple Mechanics Project: How to Secure a Gear Shaft for Load-Bearing Use

In summary, a construction includes a thick plate, a shaft, and gear. The sketch shows how the gear is connected to the shaft. There are four ways to connect the gear to the shaft, and each way is suitable for a different type of application.
etf
Hi!
Firstly, sorry for bad English, it's not my first language :)
I don't have experience in mechanical engineering so I came here to ask for help. Here is sketch of one simple construction I want to realize:

project.png

Here we have 5 cm thick plate (it would be wooden), 50cm long and 35cm wide. There will be hole drilled in plate for shaft (it will be long 40cm - 50cm) . There would be some gear on shaft and DC motor to rotate shaft. My question is, how can I "fix" gear shaft to carry load without falling down? Here is one shaft I found on google http://cdn3.volusion.com/vyfsn.knvgw/v/vspfiles/photos/am-2392-2.jpg?1420269442
I don't see way how can one use it in this situation. How can one mount gear on this shaft?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mounting of gear depends on if gear has a key way, right? But what to do to keep shaft from falling down? I know that easiest way would be to weld gear to shaft, but I want some solution which wouldn't involve welding :)

Can you provide more information on the method used to hold the shaft vertical? Is the gear at the top of the shaft? You'll likely need a key, but depending on the situation, collars could be used on both sides of the gear, the gear could be pinned, the gear could be pressed on, the gear could be supported by the drive mechanism [such as two plates sandwiching the drive gears] and drive via a key on the shaft. There are plenty of options, but you'll have to figure out what works for your application. HTH

Likes etf
hey etf. to start, there are a few unstated dimensions and motions.
im presuming the shaft is approx10cm in diameter, and the shaft is connected solid to gear. and will be operated in the shaft vertical posisition
there are four main ways to connect shaft to gear, 1 weld. 2 keyway, 3 interference fit, 4 bolted through.

a thrust bearing mounted to the timber and washer mounted to the shaft would prevent the shaft from falling through the hole

Likes etf
It is generally not a good idea to even think of welding a gear to a shaft. This is likely to warp the shaft and/or damage the gear. Also, how would you then replace a worn gear?

Gears are usually mounted with keys, or press fits. Since the support bracket is wooden, that suggests that the loads are not too high so either should work satisfactorily.

Likes etf
Buy the gear one with a collar. Use grub screw or a through bolt with thread tapping in the shaft, to secure the gear from falling. Other than welding, this system will have a replaceable gear.

Likes etf

Related to Simple Mechanics Project: How to Secure a Gear Shaft for Load-Bearing Use

1. What is the purpose of a simple mechanics project?

Simple mechanics projects are designed to demonstrate basic principles of physics through hands-on experimentation. They allow students to apply their knowledge of theoretical concepts to practical situations, promoting a deeper understanding of mechanics.

2. What materials are typically used in a simple mechanics project?

The materials used in a simple mechanics project can vary depending on the specific project, but common materials include rulers, weights, springs, pulleys, and other basic tools and equipment. Sometimes household items such as marbles, toy cars, or rubber bands can also be used.

3. Can simple mechanics projects be done at home?

Yes, simple mechanics projects can be easily done at home with basic materials and tools. They are a great way to engage in hands-on learning and can be a fun and educational activity for students of all ages.

4. What are some examples of simple mechanics projects?

Some examples of simple mechanics projects include building a simple machine such as a lever, pulley, or inclined plane, measuring the speed of a rolling object, or creating a catapult or trebuchet. Other projects may involve exploring the laws of motion or the concept of energy transfer.

5. What skills can be developed through simple mechanics projects?

Simple mechanics projects can help develop various skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and practical application of theoretical concepts. They can also improve fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and spatial awareness. Additionally, students may develop an interest in physics and engineering through these projects.