"Simple molecular structure do not conduct electricity" H2O?

In summary, the book states that substances with a simple molecular structure do not conduct electricity due to the absence of free electrons and an overall electric charge. However, there are exceptions such as water, which can conduct electricity due to impurities in the water.
Barclay

Homework Statement

Book says "Substances with a simple molecular structure do not conduct electricity. This is because they do not have any free electrons or an overall electric charge".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the statement is a generalization because water is a simple molecular structure but people get electrocuted in bath tubs with the hairdryer. Please help me understand. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Barclay said:

Homework Statement

Book says "Substances with a simple molecular structure do not conduct electricity. This is because they do not have any free electrons or an overall electric charge".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the statement is a generalization because water is a simple molecular structure but people get electrocuted in bath tubs with the hairdryer. Please help me understand. Thank you
Are these people who unfortunately get electrocuted sitting in chemically pure water?

SteamKing said:
Are these people who unfortunately get electrocuted sitting in chemically pure water?

Oh I see. Pure water does not conduct electricity. It is the impuries in the water (chlorine, flourine, shampoo, bath salts etc) that makes water conduct electricity. Thanks

Last edited:

Related to "Simple molecular structure do not conduct electricity" H2O?

1. What is a simple molecular structure?

A simple molecular structure refers to a molecule composed of a small number of atoms held together by covalent bonds. Examples include H2O, CO2, and CH4.

2. Why do simple molecular structures not conduct electricity?

Simple molecular structures do not conduct electricity because they do not have free electrons or ions that are able to move and carry an electric charge. The covalent bonds between the atoms are strong and do not allow for the flow of electricity.

3. Can simple molecular structures conduct electricity in any form?

No, simple molecular structures do not conduct electricity in any form. They require the presence of free electrons or ions to conduct electricity, which is not present in these types of molecules.

4. What is the difference between a simple molecular structure and a complex molecular structure?

A simple molecular structure is made up of a small number of atoms held together by covalent bonds, while a complex molecular structure is made up of a larger number of atoms and may contain different types of bonds such as ionic or metallic bonds. Complex molecular structures may be able to conduct electricity, depending on the type of bonds present.

5. Can simple molecular structures be manipulated to conduct electricity?

No, simple molecular structures cannot be manipulated to conduct electricity. The arrangement of atoms and the type of bonds within the molecule determine whether or not it can conduct electricity, and these factors cannot be changed without altering the molecule itself.