Simple Node voltage method problem

In summary: Remember to include the sign of the voltage (drop) across the 6 ohm resistor.In summary, the conversation discusses using the node voltage method to find the voltage, v, in a given circuit. The equations used to solve for v are shown, and the values for v1 and v2 are found to be 6 V and 18 V, respectively. The conversation then discusses how to find the voltage at node v by using the difference between the two node points and Ohm's Law. The summary concludes by mentioning the importance of including the sign of the voltage when calculating the voltage at node v.
DWill

Homework Statement

Use the node voltage method to find v in the circuit shown.

(picture of circuit attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v1 + (v1 - v2)/8 = 4.5
(v2 - v1)/8 + (v2)/12 + (v2 - 30)/4 = 0

Solving for v1 and v2 I get:
v1 = 6 V
v2 = 18 V

I got the voltage at node 1 and 2 (along the top of the circuit), but I'm puzzled as to how to get v? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see v is equal to the voltage across the 2 ohm resistor and the 12 ohm resistor?

You know the 12 ohms voltage, so find the voltage across the 2 ohms to find v.

DWill said:

Homework Statement

Use the node voltage method to find v in the circuit shown.

(picture of circuit attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v1 + (v1 - v2)/8 = 4.5
(v2 - v1)/8 + (v2)/12 + (v2 - 30)/4 = 0

Solving for v1 and v2 I get:
v1 = 6 V
v2 = 18 V

I got the voltage at node 1 and 2 (along the top of the circuit), but I'm puzzled as to how to get v? Thanks for your help.

You found the voltages at the two node points, so you know the difference between them. So you know the current in the 6 and 2 ohm resistors by Ohms Law. If you work out the voltage across one of them, and add it to the nearest node point, you can get the voltage there relative to the bottom rail.

FAQ: Simple Node voltage method problem

What is the Simple Node Voltage Method?

The Simple Node Voltage Method is a technique used to analyze electrical circuits by determining the voltage at each node (connection point) in the circuit.

How is the Simple Node Voltage Method used?

The Simple Node Voltage Method involves writing equations based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) for each node in the circuit, and then solving the resulting system of equations to find the unknown node voltages.

What are the advantages of using the Simple Node Voltage Method?

The Simple Node Voltage Method is often preferred over other circuit analysis techniques because it is relatively simple and straightforward, and does not require complex calculations or matrices.

What are the limitations of the Simple Node Voltage Method?

The Simple Node Voltage Method can only be used to analyze circuits that are in series or parallel, and cannot be used for circuits with nonlinear elements such as diodes or transistors.

How can I improve my skills in using the Simple Node Voltage Method?

To improve your skills in using the Simple Node Voltage Method, it is important to practice solving various types of circuits and to familiarize yourself with the KCL equations and techniques for solving systems of equations.