Simple Pendulum Problem: Finding Coefficient of Linear Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the alpha, or coefficient of linear expansion, of an unknown material used in a simple pendulum. The material causes the pendulum to lose 5 seconds per day at 15 degrees and gain 10 seconds at 30 degrees. The solution involves calculating the length of the pendulum at different temperatures and using the ratio of the time periods and lengths to determine the alpha.
amal

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum whose string is made of some unknown material loses 5 seconds per day at 15 deg and gains 10 seconds at 30 deg. What is the alpha i.e. coefficient of linear expansion of this material?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I assumed the length where the pendulum has correct period to be L. Then,

L15(Length at 15 deg)= L-(L*alpha*delta T) where delta T is the fall in temperature but since I do not know both L and delta T, I got stuck. Something similar happens for T =30 deg.

Please guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the time period related to the length of the pendulum?
Calculate with the ratio of the time periods and that of the lengths.

ehild

Thanks. I got it.

Related to Simple Pendulum Problem: Finding Coefficient of Linear Expansion

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point. It is a classic example used in physics to understand the concept of motion and energy.

What factors affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, the mass of the weight, and the pull of gravity. The angle at which it is released also plays a role in its motion.

How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period?

The length of a simple pendulum and its period are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, its period also increases.

What is a compound pendulum and how is it different from a simple pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a rigid body with a mass that is suspended from a fixed point and is able to swing freely. It is different from a simple pendulum as it has a larger mass and its motion is affected by its distribution of mass.