Simple Problem, I think theres not enough information

In summary, a block slides along a frictionless track from one level to a higher level with a 1.2 m height difference. Once it reaches the higher level, a frictional force stops the block in an unknown distance, as the weight of the block is not given. The block's initial speed is 6.0 m/s and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.60. The normal force is needed to calculate the friction force, but it is not given. The initial velocity at the higher level has been calculated and verified, but the distance d cannot be found without the weight of the block.
zZhang

Homework Statement

In Figure 8-50 (nothing important other than 1.2 m height difference, the higher level is completey flat), a block slides along a track from one level to a higher level after passing through an intermediate valley. The track is frictionless until the block reaches the higher level. There a frictional force stops the block in a distance d. The block's initial speed v0 is 6.0 m/s, the height difference h is 1.2 m, and the µk is 0.60. Find d.

Vo = 6.0 m/s
h = 1.2 m
µk = 0.60
m = ? (not given)

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy to get initial velocity upon reaching the higher level (this is already done and verified)

Then for the friction force we need the normal force (in this case weight of block), which is not given...

The Attempt at a Solution

So I already have the initial velocity at the higher level done and verified that part is correct, but I don't think the distance d it takes to come to a stop can be found since they never gave the weight of the block (so unknown magnitude of friction force).

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh nvm i randomly dropped a variable -____-

I agree with your assessment that there is not enough information provided in the problem to solve for the distance d. The weight of the block is a crucial piece of information needed to calculate the normal force and ultimately the frictional force that stops the block. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately determine the distance d. I suggest reaching out to the instructor or providing a range of possible values for the weight of the block in order to solve for d.

Related to Simple Problem, I think theres not enough information

What is a simple problem?

A simple problem is a task or issue that can be easily solved or understood without much effort or complexity.

How do you determine if there is not enough information for a problem?

You can determine if there is not enough information for a problem by analyzing the given information and determining if it is sufficient to solve the problem. If there are missing details or uncertainties, it is likely that there is not enough information.

What can I do if I think there is not enough information for a problem?

If you believe there is not enough information for a problem, you can try to gather more information by researching or asking for clarification. You can also try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts to identify what information is needed.

Why is it important to have enough information for a problem?

Having enough information for a problem is important because it allows for a more accurate and efficient solution. Without enough information, the solution may be incomplete or incorrect. It also helps to prevent wasted time and resources.

What are some ways to avoid encountering a "not enough information" problem?

To avoid encountering a "not enough information" problem, it is important to carefully analyze a situation before attempting to solve it. It may also be helpful to ask for clarification or gather additional information before beginning to solve a problem. Breaking down a problem into smaller parts can also help identify any missing information.