Simple projectile spring-loaded plunger motion

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a spring-loaded plunger launching a ball at a speed of 3.50 m/s from one corner of a tilted board to hit a target at the adjacent corner. The question is asking for the angle theta at which the board should be tilted to achieve this goal. The solution involves finding the time it takes for the ball to reach the target by setting two simultaneous equations and using kinematic equations. A trigonometric identity may also be needed to solve for theta.
pureouchies4717
i don't know why I am having trouble on this...

In one contest at the county fair, a spring-loaded plunger launches a ball at a speed of 3.50 m/s from one corner of a smooth, flat board that is tilted up at a 20 degree angle. To win, you must make the ball hit a small target at the adjacent corner, 2.45 m away. At what angle theta should you tilt the ball launcher?

knight_Figure_06_33.jpg

a along the y-axis is: 3.3518m/s^2

i don't know what to do next... please help

i know that youre supposed to look at it when it reaches the top of its arc when

vf=0m/s
vi=3.5m/s
d= 1.225m
t=?
a(ball)=?
a (y-axis): 3.3518m/s^2
theta=?

Physics news on Phys.org
Often with this kind of problem, it helps to think about the time it's going to take for the object to get somewhere. How long will it take for the ball to make it across the board (depends on the angle)? You need to make the ball go across the table in the same amount of time it takes it to go up the incline and all the way back down. You'll end up with two simultaneous equations, and just solve for the time. That will take you back to the angle solution...

I have the same problem as this except the ball is launched at 3.0m/s and the target is 2.12m away.
What do I need to find out to solve this? I'm trying to come up with the formulas to find the answer but I just keep hitting dead ends.

Last edited:
The only kinematic equations you need are:

x_f = x_i +v_ix*t+0.5*a_x*t^2
y_f = y_i +v_iy*t+0.5*a_y*t^2

Keep in mind that horizontal motion and vertical motion are completely independent of one another (one of the convenient things about projectile motion).

With your origin set as the bottom left-hand corner of the ramp--

Find t in terms of theta for when y equals 0 (the 2nd time: at the other end of the parabola), and then find t in terms of theta for when your x position is at its desired maximum. Set one t equal to the other and solve - that will give you the intersection for the 2 t equations you came up with.

When I worked through the problem, I had to use a trigonometric identity to come up with the correct value for theta. (Hint: sin(2*theta).)

Related to Simple projectile spring-loaded plunger motion

1. What is "simple projectile spring-loaded plunger motion"?

"Simple projectile spring-loaded plunger motion" refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air by a spring-loaded plunger. This type of motion is often used in experiments to study the effects of gravity and air resistance.

2. How does a spring-loaded plunger work in this type of motion?

A spring-loaded plunger works by compressing a spring through the application of force. When the force is released, the stored energy in the spring is released and propels the object attached to the plunger into the air.

3. What are the factors that affect the motion of a spring-loaded plunger?

The factors that affect the motion of a spring-loaded plunger include the force used to compress the spring, the angle at which the object is launched, the weight and shape of the object, and external factors such as air resistance and gravity.

4. How can the motion of a spring-loaded plunger be measured and analyzed?

The motion of a spring-loaded plunger can be measured using tools such as a stopwatch, ruler, and scale. The data collected can then be analyzed using mathematical equations and graphs to determine the velocity, acceleration, and other characteristics of the motion.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying simple projectile spring-loaded plunger motion?

Studying simple projectile spring-loaded plunger motion can help in understanding the principles of motion and mechanics. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports where projectile motion is involved, such as in the design of catapults or the trajectory of a basketball shot.