How Do You Calculate Tension in a Pulley System with Two Masses?

• Thread starter tsurugi-ijin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the student is struggling to find the tension in a system of two masses connected by a cable over a frictionless pulley. They have attempted to use the equation F=ma and have found the weights of the masses, but have not accounted for the tension in their calculations. The recommended approach is to draw a Free Body Diagram for each mass and write expressions for the acceleration of each mass, including the tension. Solving these equations will give the correct tension.
tsurugi-ijin

Homework Statement

Sorry to be posting here but trying to look for previous similar questions I just managed to baffle me further!
This is just me trying to revise and came across this..

Two masses of 10 kg and 5 kg are joined by a cable and placed over a massless frictionless pulley as shown in the diagram. Find the Tension.

http___moodlebcuacuk_tee_pluginfile.png

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass A = 10kg x gravity
= 98.1 N

Mass B = 49.05 N

So I end up getting the tension above B as 49.05 from 98.1 - 49.05..

Know that isn't right..
Any help would be brilliant

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tsurugi-ijin said:

Homework Statement

Sorry to be posting here but trying to look for previous similar questions I just managed to baffle me further!
This is just me trying to revise and came across this..

Two masses of 10 kg and 5 kg are joined by a cable and placed over a massless frictionless pulley as shown in the diagram. Find the Tension.

http___moodlebcuacuk_tee_pluginfile.png

Homework Equations

F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass A = 10kg x gravity
= 98.1 N

Mass B = 49.05 N

So I end up getting the tension above B as 49.05 from 98.1 - 49.05..

Know that isn't right..
Any help would be brilliant

Draw a Free Body Diagram for each mass. Write an expression for the acceleration of each mass from the FBD (should include a term for the tension in each case). Solve the equations.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Tension in a Pulley System with Two Masses?

1. How does a simple pulley work?

A simple pulley is a basic machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. When you pull on one end of the rope, the wheel turns and the other end of the rope moves in the opposite direction. This allows you to lift or move objects with less effort.

2. What is the purpose of a simple pulley?

The main purpose of a simple pulley is to make it easier to lift or move heavy objects. By using a pulley, you can distribute the weight of the object over multiple strands of rope, reducing the amount of force needed to lift it.

3. What are the different types of simple pulleys?

There are two types of simple pulleys: fixed and movable. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

4. Can a simple pulley be used in combination with other machines?

Yes, a simple pulley can be used in combination with other machines to create compound machines. For example, a pulley system can be combined with a lever to create a system that allows you to lift even heavier objects with less effort.

5. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a simple pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a simple pulley can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force you apply to the rope. For example, if you are using a pulley to lift a 100-pound object and you apply 20 pounds of force to the rope, the mechanical advantage would be 5 (100/20=5).