Simple Pulley Problem With Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass of block C and its acceleration in relation to blocks A and B. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal surface is given as 0.25. Using the equations for friction and force, the frictional and tension forces are calculated. However, the final mass of block C is incorrect and the conversation ends with the realization that further consideration of the tension on the A side is needed.
Goofball Randy

Homework Statement

Block A in the figure has a mass of 5.00kg , and block B has mass 12.0kg . The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal surface is 0.25.

YF-05-69.jpg

What is the mass of block C if block B is moving to the right and speeding up with an acceleration 3.00m/s2 ?

Homework Equations

Friction = coefficient * normal force
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the frictional force heading left (since block is going right). 0.25 * (12 * 9.81) = 29.43 N
The tension force on B is then just F = ma + friction force, so 12 * 3 + 29.43 = 65.43 N
And the acceleration of block C, which should also be 3 m/s2, gives the equation Ca = Cg - T, since the acceleration downwards is just gravitational force - tension force. So 3C = 9.81C - 65.43, C = 9.608kg

But this is wrong! And I don't know why :(
The textbook sucks too...pulleys aren't even so much as mentioned in the chapter we're in.

Edit: Tried accounting for A.

A is moving up at 3 m/s2.
So -3A = Ag - T
-3(5) = (9.81)(5) - T
T = 34.05 N
So then the total forces pulling left are 34.05 + 29.43 = 63.48N (A and friction). So the forces pulling right must equal that + 36 (F = (12)(3)) = 99.48N. So 3C = 9.81C - 99.48, C = 14.608kg

Still doesn't work :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your work, but did you consider that the gravitational force of blocks A and C also act on B?

samnorris93 said:
the gravitational force of blocks A
Still doesn't work :(

Last edited:
I don't see where you took into account the tension on the A side.

haruspex said:
I don't see where you took into account the tension on the A side.

Yeah, realized that from the other post. Edited my post above, but it still is wrong. I was so hoping it would be right too, since it made so much sense...

Ahhhh never mind. I'm just bad at math. :D

Related to Simple Pulley Problem With Acceleration

1. What is a simple pulley problem with acceleration?

A simple pulley problem with acceleration involves a system of one or more pulleys and a mass that is accelerating due to a force applied to it. The goal is to determine the acceleration of the mass and the tension in the ropes or cables that are attached to the pulleys.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration in a simple pulley problem?

The acceleration in a simple pulley problem can be calculated using the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the applied force, and m is the mass of the object. In this case, the mass may be the combined mass of all the objects attached to the pulleys.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley in a simple pulley problem?

In a simple pulley problem, a fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the applied force. A movable pulley, on the other hand, is attached to the object being moved and changes both the direction and magnitude of the force, resulting in a mechanical advantage.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the tension and acceleration in a simple pulley problem?

The number of pulleys in a simple pulley problem affects both the tension and the acceleration. As the number of pulleys increases, the tension in the ropes or cables decreases, but the acceleration of the mass also decreases. This is due to the distribution of the force over multiple ropes or cables.

5. Can a simple pulley problem with acceleration be solved using Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, a simple pulley problem with acceleration can be solved using Newton's laws of motion. The second law, F=ma, can be used to determine the acceleration, and the third law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, can be used to determine the tension in the ropes or cables.