Simple question in Mathematica: find value of function

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of finding the value of x when a function F[x] has a certain expression and is computed using NDSolve and a set of differential equations. The speaker has tried using NMinimize but is still unable to find a good way to compute the value of x. Another member suggests using FindRoot, which the speaker later finds a solution for in a link they share.
Sosi
Hi guys!

I'm trying to the value of x when a function F[x] has a certain expression. I'm computing the value of F[x] using NDSolve and a set of differential equations - all numerically. Yet, I can't find an easy and systematic way to find the value of x when F[x]=constant.

I tried using NMinimize:
Code:
NMinimize[{Evaluate[CONSTANT- 
    F[x] /. systemofequations, x]

Yet, I can't seem to find a good way to compute the value of x.. :S

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could try to solve this issue?
Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Simple question in Mathematica: find value of function

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a popular software program used for mathematical, scientific, and technical computations. It allows users to perform various calculations, plot graphs and visualizations, and solve complex equations.

2. How do I find the value of a function in Mathematica?

To find the value of a function in Mathematica, you can use the Evaluate function. For example, if you want to find the value of the function f(x) = x^2 + 3 for x = 5, you can type Evaluate[f(5)] in the Mathematica notebook. This will give you the output 28.

3. Can Mathematica handle complex functions?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of handling complex functions and equations. It has a wide range of built-in functions and tools that can handle complex numbers, matrices, and other advanced mathematical concepts.

4. How can I plot the graph of a function in Mathematica?

To plot the graph of a function in Mathematica, you can use the Plot function. For example, if you want to plot the graph of f(x) = x^3 + 2x^2 - 5, you can type Plot[x^3 + 2x^2 - 5, {x, -5, 5}] in the Mathematica notebook. This will generate a graph of the function between the x-values of -5 and 5.

5. Can I export the results from Mathematica to other programs?

Yes, Mathematica allows you to export your results to various formats, such as PDF, HTML, CSV, and more. You can use the Export function to save your results in a desired format and then import them into other programs for further analysis or presentation.