Simple question of interpretation - D&F Ch 10 - Proposition 30

In summary, the conversation discusses Proposition 30 in Dummit and Foote's Section 10.5, which deals with projective, injective, and flat modules. The main point of confusion is Statement (3), which states that if P is a quotient of the R-module N, then there exists a sub-module L of M such that P = M/L. The conversation concludes that this means P is a direct summand of M, and this is a defining property of projective modules. The purpose of defining projective modules in this way is to extend the properties of vector spaces to modules.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Section 10.5 : Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I am studying Proposition 30 (D&F, page 389)

I need some help in order to interpret one of the statements in Proposition 30.

Proposition 29 and its proof (Ch 10, D&F page 388) reads as follows:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69913&stc=1&d=1400547687.png

Statement (3) of Proposition 30 begins as follows:

"(3) If P is a quotient of the R-module N ... "

I am uncertain regarding the exact meaning of this statement ... I suspect it means that there exists a sub-module module Q of N such that P = N/Q ...

BUT ... firstly, this seems a vague thing to assert and secondly, I am most uncertain of this interpretation ...

Can someone please clarify the matter for me?

Peter

Attachments

• Resized - D&F Ch 10 - Proposition 30.png
    Resized - D&F Ch 10 - Proposition 30.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
Your guess is essentially correct although [itex] Q [/itex] (which I will call [itex] L [/itex] to agree with the exact sequence in condition (3) ) should be a submodule of [itex] M [/itex] rather than [itex] N [/itex] ([itex] N [/itex] doesn't appear at all in condition (3).) So it means there exists some submodule [itex] L\subseteq M [/itex] such that [itex] P=M/L [/itex].

For lots of these special types of modules (projective, injective, flat etc.) the definition is some nice property that holds for all vector spaces but not for all modules. We would really like it to hold for modules also so that standard vector space proofs can be extended to modules, so we simply define a special class of modules as those which do have this property.

In this case, you know that if [itex] M [/itex] is a vector space and [itex] P=M/L [/itex] for some subspace [itex] L [/itex], then you can take a basis [itex] \{ v_1,\cdots, v_m \} [/itex] of L, extend it to a basis [itex] \{v_1,\cdots, v_m,v_{m+1}, \cdots, v_n\} [/itex] of [itex] M [/itex] and then [itex] M=L\oplus \mathrm{Span}(v_{m+1},\cdots, v_{n} ) [/itex]. Further, it is easy to check that [itex] P\cong \mathrm{Span}(v_{m+1},\cdots, v_n\} [/itex] (more precisely you take the image of the [itex] v_j[/itex]'s in the quotient) so we get the isomorphism
[tex] M\cong L\oplus V/L=L\oplus P. [/tex]
This shows that [itex] P [/itex] is a direct summand of [itex] V[/itex] as stated in condition (3). The fact that the exact sequence splits is of course equivalent to the direct sum decomposition (this is part of the splitting lemma.)

So, this way of defining a projective module just tells you that a projective module is a module that we force to have the nice property that we can always split it into a direct some of any quotient plus a complement. If you are trying to prove something about modules and run into a situation where you need to split a module into a direct sum to imitate a proof which works for vector spaces, you can do it when the module is projective and you start with a quotient (similarly if you start with a subspace and need to find a splitting, you can do it when the module is injective.)

Likes 1 person
Thanks Terandol ... Your post was EXTREMELY helpful to me ...

Still reflecting on what you have said ...

Gives me a good perspective on what is going on overall in the bigger picture of things ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Simple question of interpretation - D&F Ch 10 - Proposition 30

1. What is Proposition 30 in D&F Chapter 10?

Proposition 30 in D&F Chapter 10 is a proposed law or policy that is being discussed or debated. It is a specific proposal that has been put forward for consideration and potential implementation.

2. What is the purpose of Proposition 30?

The purpose of Proposition 30 is to address a specific issue or problem that is being faced by individuals, organizations, or society as a whole. It is intended to provide a solution or course of action to improve the current situation.

3. How is Proposition 30 interpreted?

Proposition 30 is interpreted through the lens of logic and reasoning. It involves analyzing the language and meaning of the proposal, as well as considering the potential consequences and implications of its implementation.

4. What factors should be considered when interpreting Proposition 30?

When interpreting Proposition 30, it is important to consider the context in which it was proposed, the intended audience, and any relevant evidence or data that supports or refutes its claims. It is also important to consider any potential biases or agendas that may influence the interpretation.

5. How does the interpretation of Proposition 30 impact its potential effectiveness?

The interpretation of Proposition 30 can greatly impact its potential effectiveness. If the proposal is interpreted in a way that aligns with its intended purpose and is well-supported by evidence, it is more likely to be successfully implemented and achieve its desired outcomes. However, if there are conflicting interpretations or a lack of evidence to support the proposal, its potential effectiveness may be hindered.