Simple Region Question for a Double Integral Substitution

In summary, the given double integral is evaluated for the region R in the first quadrant by using a transformation and obtaining the Jacobian. The transformed region is found to be restricted to 4<=v<=7 and -1<=u<=2, but it does not necessarily have to be restricted to the first quadrant.
AFinch

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral integral ∫∫2x^2-xy-y^2 dxdy for the region R in the first quadrant bounded by the lines y=-2x+4, y=-2x+7, y=x-2, and y=x+1 using the transformation x=1/3(u+v), y=1/3(-2u+v).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've obtained the Jacobian (it's 1/3) and I've plugged in the transformation equations into the line equations to get 4<=v<=7 and -1<=u<=2.

My question is pretty simple: if the region R is in the first quadrant, does the transformed region also need to be restricted to the first quadrant? As I'm typing this and thinking about it, It doesn't really make sense to restrict the transformed region to the first quadrant, but if someone could confirm that I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the xy region is R, the integral over R transforms in uv space to the integral over whatever region R transforms to with the substitution.

Related to Simple Region Question for a Double Integral Substitution

1. What is a simple region?

A simple region is a two-dimensional shape that can be easily described using a set of inequalities or equations. In the context of double integrals, it is a region that can be represented as a rectangle or a combination of rectangles.

2. What is a double integral substitution?

A double integral substitution is a technique used to simplify a double integral by substituting variables and changing the limits of integration. It is similar to single variable substitution in single integrals, but involves using a change of variables for both the inner and outer integrals.

3. When is a double integral substitution necessary?

A double integral substitution may be necessary when the integrand is complex or difficult to integrate using traditional methods. It can also be used to transform the integration region into a simpler form, making the integral easier to evaluate.

4. How do you choose the substitution variables for a double integral?

The choice of substitution variables for a double integral depends on the shape and complexity of the region and integrand. In general, it is helpful to choose variables that will transform the region into a simpler shape, and also make the integrand easier to integrate.

5. What is the process for evaluating a double integral using substitution?

The process for evaluating a double integral using substitution involves the following steps: 1) Identify a suitable change of variables that will simplify the integral, 2) Determine the new limits of integration using the inverse of the substitution function, 3) Rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variables, 4) Evaluate the integral using traditional integration techniques, and 5) Substitute the original variables back into the final result.