Simple rotational mechanics problem

In summary, Cliff and Will are carrying a 2.0 m board with a mass of 71 kg. Cliff has attached his lunch to one end of the board with a tension of 200 N. To find the force that Cliff exerts on the board (part A), we can set Will's normal force as the pivot point and solve for Cliff's force, which is approximately 793 N. To find the force that Will exerts on the board (part B), we can subtract Cliff's force (793 N) from the total downward force of 910 N, giving us a force of approximately 117 N. It is important to note that the second calculation should have torques with a relative minus sign, as the weight
crybllrd

Homework Statement

Cliff and Will are carrying a uniform 2.0 m board of mass 71 kg. Will is supporting the board at the end while Cliff is 0.6 m from the other end as shown. Cliff has attached his lunch to the end of the board, and the tension in the string supporting the lunch is 200 N.

24g7no0.jpg

A) Find the force that Cliff exerts on the board.

B) Find the force that Will exerts on the board.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems easy enough, I will set Will's Normal force to be the pivot point and solve for Cliff's.

[tex](1.4m)N_{Cliff} = (200N)(2m) + (710N)(1m)[/tex]

[tex]N_{Cliff}\approx 793N[/tex]

To find Will's, I will subtract the Cliff's (793N) from the total (1110N) to get 317N.

I then wanted to check my answer by solving for Will's by using Cliff as the pivot point, but came up with different numbers.

[tex]N_{Will}(1.4m)=(200N)(.6m) + (710N)(.4m)[/tex]

[tex]N_{Will}\approx 289N[/tex]

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that the total down force is 1110 N? All I see directed down is 200 N + 710 N.

Also, the right side of the second calculation should have torques with a relative minus sign because the weight of the board and the weight of the lunch are on either side of the pivot (Cliff).

Last edited:
kuruman said:
All I see directed down is 200 N + 710 N.
So my calculation for Cliff's force (part A) looks correct? I just need to subtract 910N by 793N to get Will's force?

kuruman said:
Also, the right side of the second calculation should have torques with a relative minus sign because the weight of the board and the weight of the lunch are on either side of the pivot (Cliff).

So the second part should have, say,

(-200)(.6) + (710)(.4) = N(1.4)

N = 117

Yes and yes. The two calculations agree now, don't they?

For future reference, it is easier to see what is going on if you put all the torques on the same side and say that their sum equals to zero. You can adopt the convention that "counterclockwise" torques are positive and "clockwise" torques are negative. For example, for the second part, you would write

-(N*1.4 m) + (710 N)*(0.4 m) - (200 N)*(0.6 m) = 0

which is the same equation that you have.

Related to Simple rotational mechanics problem

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves understanding how forces, torques, and angular momentum affect the motion of rotating objects.

2. What is a simple rotational mechanics problem?

A simple rotational mechanics problem is a problem that involves a single object rotating around an axis and requires the application of basic rotational concepts, such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration, to solve.

3. How do you solve a simple rotational mechanics problem?

To solve a simple rotational mechanics problem, you must first identify the object's axis of rotation and draw a free-body diagram to represent all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use rotational equations, such as Newton's second law for rotational motion, to solve for unknown quantities.

4. What are some real-world applications of rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics has many real-world applications, including the study of the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, the design of machinery and vehicles that involve rotation, and the analysis of sports movements, such as a gymnast's rotation on a bar or a diver's rotation during a dive.

5. What are some common misconceptions about rotational mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about rotational mechanics include thinking that an object's mass determines its moment of inertia (which also depends on the object's shape and axis of rotation), or that all rotational motion is circular (when in reality, objects can rotate in a variety of shapes, such as an ellipse or a spiral).