Simple spring-constant equation

• Thread starter Bindle
  • Start date
In summary: So basically at the beginning its easier to stretch the spring because you have less tension and then it gets harder as you stretch it?That's right.
Bindle

Homework Statement

You decide the spring constant k of a spring by measuring the extension x at different loads. Result is displayed in diagram:

4 cm extension = 10 Newton
4.5 cm extension = 11 Newton
6 cm extension = 15 Newton

The graph which I have is uploaded here: http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/index.asp?ID=5881274468fc4a8e9f509058747271cb (Just press preview)

a) Determine the spring constant.
b) How much work does it take to extend the spring by 4.5 cm?

Homework Equations

k = N/d (d = distance)

W = F * d

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Ok, so I start out with deciding the spring constant. I know 4 cm is 10 Newton, so I begin:

k = 10 N / 0.04 m
k = 250 N

b) Then I try to figure out the work:

I see that the spring at 4.5 centimeters takes 11 Newton of force.

W = 0.045 * 11

W = 0.0495 J

However the solution says it's 0.25 J.

My teacher tried to explain it has to do with the average length, that because of this you have to divide your work in 2. So: W = (0.045*11)/2

W = 0.2475 J and rounded: 0.25 J

Also he tried to explain that I could use the spring constant equation:

k = F/d

k * d = (F/d)*d

k * d * d = F * d

k * d^2 = F * d <- Where I see the point that this is also work.

But still, why do I have to divide the given work in two?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the spring force when the spring is unstretched at x = 0?
What is the spring force when the spring is stretched to x = 4.5 cm?
What is the average spring force during the time that the spring is stretched from x = 0 cm to x = 4.5 cm?
So it doesn't take much work to stretch the spring at the beginning, but it takes much more work to stretch it at the end. That's why you need to use the average to calculate the overall amount of work.

The units for a spring constant will be N/m or similar.

Looks to me like k = k(x). Hooke wouldn't have liked it ...

Oh right, it's 250 N/m. I still don't understand why I have to use the average?

rude man said:
Looks to me like k = k(x). Hooke wouldn't have liked it ...
No really. The force increases in proportion to x (F = kx), but the amount of work needed to increase the length by the same incremental change dx increases as the spring is stretched: dW=kxdx.
Chet

dW = kxdx where dx is delta x or distance times x?

Bindle said:
dW = kxdx where dx is delta x or distance times x?
It's delta x, with delta x being very small. dW is delta W (work) with delta x being very small. For a given Δx, ΔW depends on the amount of x that was already there (i.e., the tension kx that is already in the spring). Every time you try to stretch the spring just a little more, for the same amount of additional stretch, the going gets harder and harder. So you do very little work when you first start to stretch the spring, but you do much more work once the spring already has been somewhat stretched. That's why you use the average force to calculate the total amount of work done.
Chet

Wow, thank you. No I see it.

FAQ: Simple spring-constant equation

1. What is the simple spring-constant equation?

The simple spring-constant equation is a mathematical formula that relates the spring constant (k), the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position (x), and the force exerted by the spring (F). It is written as F = -kx, where the negative sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement.

2. How is the simple spring-constant equation derived?

The simple spring-constant equation is derived from Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. It is a simplified version of the more general spring equation, which takes into account the mass of the object attached to the spring and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What are the units for the spring constant in the simple spring-constant equation?

The units for the spring constant in the simple spring-constant equation depend on the units used for force and displacement. In the SI system, the units for spring constant are newtons per meter (N/m). In the CGS system, the units are dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm).

4. How is the simple spring-constant equation used in practical applications?

The simple spring-constant equation is used in many practical applications, such as designing and calibrating springs in mechanical systems, measuring the elasticity of materials, and studying the behavior of simple harmonic motion. It is also used in industries that require precise control of forces, such as in the manufacturing of electronic components.

5. What are the limitations of the simple spring-constant equation?

The simple spring-constant equation assumes that the spring is perfectly elastic, meaning that it returns to its original shape and size when the force is removed. However, in reality, all springs have some degree of stiffness and will not return to their original shape. Additionally, the equation only applies to linear springs, meaning that the force is directly proportional to the displacement. Non-linear springs, such as those with varying stiffness, cannot be accurately described by this equation.