Simple temperature conversion problem

• Thread starter coolbyte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
C and (64)(5/9)+273.15= 308.75 K.In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a homework question involving converting a temperature difference from Fahrenheit to Celsius and Kelvin. After some guidance, the student realizes their mistake and finds the correct answers to be 35.6°C and 308.75 K.
coolbyte

Homework Statement

I know this sounds too easy, but somehow webassign refuses my answers

The temperature difference between the inside and the outside of a home on a cold winter day is 64°F.

(a) Express this difference on the Celsius scale.
160/9

(b) Express this difference on the Kelvin scale.
2617/9

Homework Equations

C=5(F-32)/9
K=C+273.15

The Attempt at a Solution

Simply using the equations I got
C=160/9 or 17.7777778
K=2617/9 or 290.77777778

I inputted them three times in three forms, what is wrong with my answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are for converting one temperature from one scale to another. What you are given is a temperature difference. Suppose it's T Deg F outside and T+64 inside, then try your equations on each and take the difference after conversion. What do you notice?

Thank you very much haruspex, I should have not subtracted 32 from the given temperature difference.
The right answer should be (64)(5/9)= 35.6

FAQ: Simple temperature conversion problem

What is a simple temperature conversion problem?

A simple temperature conversion problem involves converting a temperature from one unit of measurement to another, such as from Fahrenheit to Celsius or vice versa.

What is the formula for converting Fahrenheit to Celsius?

The formula for converting Fahrenheit to Celsius is: (°F - 32) x 5/9 = °C.

What is the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit is: (°C x 9/5) + 32 = °F.

What are the most common units of measurement used in temperature conversion?

The most common units of measurement used in temperature conversion are Fahrenheit (°F), Celsius (°C), and Kelvin (K).

How accurate are temperature conversion formulas?

The accuracy of temperature conversion formulas depends on the precision of the numbers used and any rounding that may occur. However, they are generally considered to be very accurate for everyday use.

Back