Simplex algorithm - phase one - why do I need to use it here?

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear program with added slack variables and constraints. The question arises whether or not to use the phase one method if the linear program is infeasible and the objective z value is negative. It is suggested to start by making x_1 basic and increasing it to create a feasible solution. The use of artificial variables and Phase I objectives is also discussed.
wanderlust.xx
Hello everyone, I hope I've posted in the right section!

I have the following linear program. All I've done is added my slack variables (w) and made each constraint the subject, as you do.

[itex]\mathrm{maximize} \ z=x_1+3x_2 \

w_1 = -3 + x_1 + x_2 \\

w_2 = -1 + x_1 - x_2 \\

w_3 = 4 - x_1 -2x_2[/itex]

This seems a rather silly question, but I was lead to believe that I need to run the phase one method if the linear program is infeasible - ie, if either if the objective z value is completely negative (so we can't improve on it) or if I can't find an initial basis to start the simplex algorithm.

However, in this case, can't I let [itex]x_2[/itex] enter, then as a result, [itex]w_3[/itex] is my pivot row so [itex]w_3[/itex] leaves so we can now start with the simplex?

I have no idea why the latex isn't working... I've added new lines but it certainly isn't cooperating.

http://imageshack.us/m/51/7668/phasei.png

This is what I meant.

(I've also not really followed the template since... well, it's not really an actual homework, more of a passing query, and I can't really attempt a query :P )

Physics news on Phys.org
wanderlust.xx said:
Hello everyone, I hope I've posted in the right section!

I have the following linear program. All I've done is added my slack variables (w) and made each constraint the subject, as you do.

[itex]\mathrm{maximize} \ z=x_1+3x_2 \

w_1 = -3 + x_1 + x_2 \\

w_2 = -1 + x_1 - x_2 \\

w_3 = 4 - x_1 -2x_2[/itex]

This seems a rather silly question, but I was lead to believe that I need to run the phase one method if the linear program is infeasible - ie, if either if the objective z value is completely negative (so we can't improve on it) or if I can't find an initial basis to start the simplex algorithm.

However, in this case, can't I let [itex]x_2[/itex] enter, then as a result, [itex]w_3[/itex] is my pivot row so [itex]w_3[/itex] leaves so we can now start with the simplex?

I have no idea why the latex isn't working... I've added new lines but it certainly isn't cooperating.

http://imageshack.us/m/51/7668/phasei.png

This is what I meant.

(I've also not really followed the template since... well, it's not really an actual homework, more of a passing query, and I can't really attempt a query :P )

Are all your variables supposed to be >= 0? That is normally (but not always) the case in linear programming. Anyway, I will assume that.

The first order of business is to get a feasible starting point (or to demonstrate that no feasible solution exists). With equation system written by putting all w_i on the left, as you have done, you get the initial *infeasible* basic solution w_1 = -3, w_2 = -1, w_3 = 4. Here the variables w_i are all basic and x_1, x_2 are nonbasic = 0. This solution is infeasible because some w_i are < 0. Increasing x_1 increases both w_1 and w_2. Normally, one would need a few iterations, but in this case the problem is so simple that we can spot a basic feasible solution immediately: as x_1 increases to 3 (holding x_2 = 0), w_1 hits zero, w_2 becomes positive and w_3 remains positive. So, let w_1 become nonbasic and x_1 basic. The new solution will be feasible, with positive (basic) variables x_1, w_2, w_3 and zeo (nonbasic) variables w_1, x_2.

Your question about whether or not Phase I is needed is relevant to *some* (but not all) implementations of the simplex method. Some of the better ones just try to eliminate infeasibilities one-by-one in roughly the method done above (except that I did two steps for the price of 1) and avoid artificial variables and explicit Phase I objectives altogether. Artificial variables and Phase I are always used in introductory courses, but not always in industrial-scale computer codes.

RGV

Ah I see! So essentially, the slack variables w_i are negative when we proceed with the simplex which means that we can't actually run the simplex algorithm because we do not have an initial basic feasible solution. Is this correct?

wanderlust.xx said:
Ah I see! So essentially, the slack variables w_i are negative when we proceed with the simplex which means that we can't actually run the simplex algorithm because we do not have an initial basic feasible solution. Is this correct?

I don't know what you mean by saying "we proceed with simplex which means that we can't actually run the simplex algorithm", which seems contradictory. I would say instead: we cannot start *maximizing* (or minimizing) until we have achieved a feasible solution. In other words, until we have obtained a feasible solution we effectively neglect the actual objective. Actually, this is not quite true. In some sophisticated implementations, we try to guide the path to feasibility by also looking at the effects on the objective, so that if there are two nonbasic variables that would each lessen the amount of infeasibility, we could choose the one that hurts the objective the least, or helps it the most. Essentially, the so-called "Big-M" method attempts something like this, but in a clumsy way IMHO.

RGV

Related to Simplex algorithm - phase one - why do I need to use it here?

1. Why is the Simplex algorithm necessary for solving linear programming problems?

The Simplex algorithm is necessary because it is the most efficient and effective method for solving linear programming problems. It is able to find the optimal solution quickly and reliably, even for complex problems with many variables and constraints.

2. What is the purpose of phase one in the Simplex algorithm?

The purpose of phase one in the Simplex algorithm is to find a basic feasible solution for the problem. This involves adding artificial variables and using the Simplex method to determine an initial feasible solution. Once a feasible solution is found, phase two of the algorithm can be used to find the optimal solution.

3. When is it necessary to use the Simplex algorithm phase one?

The Simplex algorithm phase one is necessary when the problem does not have an initial feasible solution. This can happen when there are constraints that cannot be satisfied by any combination of variables, or when the problem has no variables with non-zero coefficients in the objective function.

4. How does the Simplex algorithm phase one work?

The Simplex algorithm phase one works by adding artificial variables to the problem and using the Simplex method to find an initial feasible solution. These artificial variables are then removed in phase two, and the algorithm continues to find the optimal solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Simplex algorithm phase one?

One limitation of the Simplex algorithm phase one is that it may not be able to find a feasible solution if the problem is too complex or if there are too many constraints. In these cases, alternative methods such as the interior-point method may be more effective.