Simplex / Big M method Tableau question

• Thread starter USN2ENG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a maximization problem from a study guide. They are confused about the solution and the use of the a1 column in the tableau. After some discussion, it is determined that the z-row of the tableau is not yet finished and needs to be put into correct form. The only issue with the present tableau is that it has many solutions due to the variable x2.
USN2ENG

Homework Statement

This is from a study guide that I don't have the answers to just yet and I am trying to figure out this last problem for my OR class. I am either confused or the problem is written wrong. I am probably confused though. Any help would be great!

This Tableau is for a Maximization problem. Which of the following cases is true and why?

See the attached screen shot for the Tableau:

A) We have reached a unique optimal solution and the solution is:
B) We have not reached optimal solution. The entering variable is ________ and the exiting variable is ________.
C) The problem is unbounded.
D) There are many optimal solutions because:
E) The problem is infeasible because:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this problem confuses me for a couple of reasons. a1 still has M in Row 0, but that could be ok if that is how the math turned out in the row operations. The other problem is that x2 can enter the basis and making it basic will not change z, so we have many solutions. My only problem with that is the problem before this one is this exact Tableau but without the a1 column, so that would be the same answer. So I guess I am expecting that he added the a1 column for a reason and I am not seeing it. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Simplex.jpg
    Simplex.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
USN2ENG said:

Homework Statement

This is from a study guide that I don't have the answers to just yet and I am trying to figure out this last problem for my OR class. I am either confused or the problem is written wrong. I am probably confused though. Any help would be great!

This Tableau is for a Maximization problem. Which of the following cases is true and why?

See the attached screen shot for the Tableau:

A) We have reached a unique optimal solution and the solution is:
B) We have not reached optimal solution. The entering variable is ________ and the exiting variable is ________.
C) The problem is unbounded.
D) There are many optimal solutions because:
E) The problem is infeasible because:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this problem confuses me for a couple of reasons. a1 still has M in Row 0, but that could be ok if that is how the math turned out in the row operations. The other problem is that x2 can enter the basis and making it basic will not change z, so we have many solutions. My only problem with that is the problem before this one is this exact Tableau but without the a1 column, so that would be the same answer. So I guess I am expecting that he added the a1 column for a reason and I am not seeing it. Thanks for any help.

You seem to be forgetting that the tableau is really just a shorthand way of writing the system of equations. In particular, the z-row of the tableau really means
[tex] z + 0 x_1 + 0x_2 + 5x_3 + 1s_1 + Ma_1 = 15[/tex]
or
[tex] z = 15 - 5x_3 - s_1 - Ma_1.[/tex]
Having M in the z-row is OK, because a_1 is a nonbasic variable.

Sorry, yeah, that is what I meant when I said it was ok if the math turned out that way with the ERO's. So am I right in assuming that the only thing wrong with this present tableau is that it has many solutions due to x2?

Thanks for your reply!

USN2ENG said:
Sorry, yeah, that is what I meant when I said it was ok if the math turned out that way with the ERO's. So am I right in assuming that the only thing wrong with this present tableau is that it has many solutions due to x2?

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry: I stand corrected! The variable a_1 is a basic variable, so one row reads as
##a_1 + \text{ other non-basic terms } = \text{ some number}##, and that means that you need to 'eliminate' a_1 from the z-row in order to see what is happening. In other words, the tableau is only partly written out properly, and you need to put it into correct form: its z-row is not yet finished.

Thanks for the help Ray!

Related to Simplex / Big M method Tableau question

What is the Simplex method?

The Simplex method is an algorithm used to solve linear programming problems. It involves creating a mathematical model of the problem and then using a series of iterations to find the optimal solution.

What is the Big M method?

The Big M method is an extension of the Simplex method used for problems with constraints that are not in the standard form. It involves adding a large "M" value to the objective function to convert the problem into a standard form.

How do I set up a Simplex/Big M tableau?

To set up a Simplex/Big M tableau, you first need to identify the decision variables, constraints, and objective function of the problem. Then, you can create a table with the decision variables as columns, constraints as rows, and the coefficients of the constraints and objective function in the table.

What is the purpose of the Simplex/Big M tableau?

The purpose of the Simplex/Big M tableau is to organize the information of a linear programming problem in a table format, making it easier to apply the Simplex or Big M method to find the optimal solution. It allows for easy identification of the basic variables, slack/surplus variables, and the objective function value at each iteration.

What are the steps involved in solving a Simplex/Big M tableau?

The steps involved in solving a Simplex/Big M tableau are: 1) Set up the initial tableau, 2) Identify the basic variables, 3) Calculate the reduced costs, 4) Determine the pivot element, 5) Perform the pivot operation, 6) Update the tableau, and 7) Repeat steps 2-6 until the optimal solution is reached.