Simplification of regular expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of simplifying regular expressions and if there are any defined rules or resources available for this task. The speakers also mention the possibility of simplifying through identifying redundancies, but note that it may not always be accurate.
-A-
So is there any set of defined rules that help in the simplification of regular expressions?

Because till now I would simply try and look at the patterns and see whether this or that simplified version would generate the same.Intuitive, but now always fast or correcct.

So is there any general way to go about this...or anyone know any resources I can read up on this?

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Interesting question -- I've never run into anything like that.

I have a hard time imagining it existing, except for "obvious" redundancies. If you think of it kind of like an algebra, the "input space" that the regex is operating on is going to change depending on the inputs, so sometimes one reduction would work and other times it won't. Once you assume that anything can be sent in, then only pretty straight forward redundancies are left.

Related to Simplification of regular expression

1. What is a regular expression?

A regular expression is a sequence of characters that defines a search pattern. It is commonly used in computer science and linguistics for finding and manipulating text.

2. Why do we need to simplify regular expressions?

Simplification of regular expressions is important because it makes them easier to read, understand, and maintain. It also helps to reduce the chances of errors and improve the efficiency of the code.

3. What are the benefits of simplifying regular expressions?

Simplifying regular expressions can help to improve the performance of a program, as it reduces the complexity of the code. It also makes it easier for other programmers to understand and modify the code.

4. How do you simplify a regular expression?

To simplify a regular expression, you can start by breaking it down into smaller parts and using simpler expressions to replace more complex ones. You can also use built-in functions and shorthand notations to make the expression more concise.

5. Can regular expressions be too simplified?

Yes, regular expressions can be too simplified. If they are oversimplified, they may not accurately capture the intended search pattern and can lead to unexpected results. It is important to strike a balance between simplicity and effectiveness when simplifying regular expressions.