Simplify Derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the differential of the function f(x,y,z) = log(x^2 + y^2) − z^3. The person is unsure about how to deal with the log term and is considering substituting it with another variable. The other person clarifies that d is not the derivative but a variable, and explains how to find the differential using partial derivatives.
mill

Homework Statement

Simplify ##d(log(x^2 + y^2) − z^3)##

Homework Equations

the derivative?

The Attempt at a Solution

The instruction says to simplify. In a similar problem I ended up using the d(a(b-c))= da d(b-c). I am not sure how to deal with the log and only found formulas for ln. Could I just substitute the whole log term with another variable?

Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:

Homework Statement

Simplify ##d(log(x^2 + y^2) − z^3)##

Homework Equations

the derivative?

The Attempt at a Solution

The instruction says to simplify. In a similar problem I ended up using the d(a(b-c))= da d(b-c). I am not sure how to deal with the log and only found formulas for ln. Could I just substitute the whole log term with another variable?
d is not the derivative. Its a variable there.

adjacent said:
d is not the derivative. Its a variable there.

The instruction says to simplify the differential. So I assumed it was the derivative?

The differential of a function of more variables ##df(x,y,z) =\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}dz.##

Now ##f(x,y,z) = log(x^2 + y^2) − z^3##. Take the partial derivatives and write up the differential.

ehild

Related to Simplify Derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3

What is the derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3?

The derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3 is 2x/(x^2 + y^2) - 3z^2.

How do you simplify the derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3?

To simplify the derivative, you can first expand the log function using the logarithm rule log(ab) = log(a) + log(b). This gives us log(x^2 + y^2) - log(z^3). Then, using the power rule for derivatives, we can find the derivative of each term separately, giving us 2x/(x^2 + y^2) - 3z^2.

What is the purpose of simplifying the derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3?

Simplifying the derivative allows us to better understand the behavior of the original function. It also makes it easier to use the derivative in further calculations or applications.

Can the derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3 be simplified further?

No, the derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3 is already in its simplest form.

What are the main steps involved in simplifying the derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) - z^3?

The main steps involved in simplifying the derivative are expanding the log function, finding the derivative of each term, and combining like terms.