Simplify Expression: (1/3 + 1/3y)/(1/y + 1/3) = 6y/(9 + 3y^2)

In summary, simplifying an expression means rewriting it in a simpler form without changing its value. This is important because it makes the expression easier to understand and work with, and helps to identify patterns and relationships. Common techniques for simplifying expressions include combining like terms, using the distributive property, factoring, and applying the order of operations. An expression is considered fully simplified when there are no more like terms to combine, no more parentheses to distribute, and no more terms to factor. However, not all expressions can be simplified, as some may already be in their simplest form or require more advanced techniques.
caters

Homework Statement

Simplify (1/3 + 1/3y)/(1/y + 1/3)

Homework Equations

(1/3 + 1/3y)/(1/y + 1/3) = x

In this case I am using x to represent the simplified expression

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/3 + 1/3 * 1/y)/(1/y+1/3) = (2/3 * 1/y)/(1/y + 1/3) = (2/3y)/(1/y+1/3) = (2/3y)/(3/3y + y/3y) =
2/3y * 3y/(3+y) = 6y/(9 + 3y^2)

I obviously did something wrong but I don't see how. Every step I did correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful with writing fractions. What does "1/3y" mean? Is it (1/3) y (the way a computer would interpret it) or 1/(3y)? Written on paper it is obvious, written in forum posts it is not. Based on your first step it has the second meaning here.

You can use LaTeX for nice formulas:
$$\frac{\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{3y}}{\frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{3}}$$

caters said:
(1/3 + 1/3 * 1/y)/(1/y+1/3) = (2/3 * 1/y)/(1/y + 1/3)
What did you do in the numerator in this step?

I added like terms to get 2/3 * 1/y.

Why did you think that ##\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{y}## is equal to ##\frac{2}{3}\frac{1}{y}##?

Is that true if ##y=2##?

Well I was taught in situations where you have multiple terms of the same type that you combine them. I thought I could do that in this step.

That is a very vague statement of what is a very specific rule, which is bound to lead to errors. What is 'like' about the two terms is that they both have a ##\frac{1}{3}## in them, not that they both have a ##\frac{1}{y}## in them (because they don't).

What you do is factorise the sum of the 'like' terms, dividing each term by the common factor, then write the sum of the divided terms in brackets and then multiplying the bracket by the common factor.

eg ##x+y+3x^2## has two terms with a common factor of ##x##, so we can write it as ##x(1+3x)+y##.

In your numerator the common factor is ##\frac{1}{3}##. What happens if you apply that principle to this line?

I get 1/3(1 + 1/y)

OK. Now redo your calcs using that corrected numerator.

Note however that the last step in your above calc is also incorrect: 2/3y * 3y/(3+y) = 6y/(9 + 3y^2)

So if I did it correctly it would be like this:

(1/3 + 1/3 * 1/y)/(1/y+1/3) = 1/3(1 + 1/y)/(1/y + 1/3) = (y+1)/(y+3)

Now something went wrong with the denominator.

Why? I simplified it as much as possible using Mathway and (y+1)/(y+3) was the solution it gave me.

A good first step, rather than adding the fractions, would to be to multiply both numerator and denominator by 3y.

caters said:
I simplified it as much as possible using Mathway and (y+1)/(y+3) was the solution it gave me.
That solution is correct. The thing that was wrong in the denominator is in the last line of the OP, and you didn't re-make the error when you re-did the calc.

Ah, I missed the additional step that was done there. Okay, ignore my previous post.

caters said:
So if I did it correctly it would be like this:

(1/3 + 1/3 * 1/y)/(1/y+1/3) = 1/3(1 + 1/y)/(1/y + 1/3) = (y+1)/(y+3)
That looks good to me.

FAQ: Simplify Expression: (1/3 + 1/3y)/(1/y + 1/3) = 6y/(9 + 3y^2)

What does it mean to simplify an expression?

Simplifying an expression means to rewrite it in a simpler form without changing its value. This is done by combining like terms, using the order of operations, and applying algebraic rules.

Why is it important to simplify an expression?

Simplifying an expression makes it easier to understand and work with. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships within the expression, making it easier to solve equations and problems.

What are some common techniques used to simplify an expression?

Some common techniques include combining like terms, using the distributive property, factoring, and applying the order of operations. Additionally, substitution and simplifying with exponents can also be used to simplify expressions.

How do you know when an expression is fully simplified?

An expression is fully simplified when there are no more like terms to combine, no more parentheses to distribute, and no more terms to factor. It should also be in its most compact form and follow the correct order of operations.

Can all expressions be simplified?

No, not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions may already be in their simplest form or may not have any like terms to combine. Additionally, some expressions may require more advanced techniques to simplify, such as using logarithms or trigonometric identities.

Back