Simplify Logic using One Connective: Solving ((q→p) ^ (p→r))→(r→q)

• MHB
  • Thread starter c4nn3t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression ((q→p) ^ (p→r))→(r→q) using only one logical connective. The workflow used so far has resulted in the DNF form (q ^ ¬p) v (p ^ r) v (¬r v q). By using the identity (x∧y)∨x=x, the middle disjunct can be simplified to p∧¬r, resulting in the final simplified expression of (q ^ ¬p) v (p ^ r) v (¬r v q).
c4nn3t
So I've got

((q→p) ^ (p→r))→(r→q)

And I have to simplify it down as much as possible using only one logical connective for the end result (not one type, just one total). Here's been my workflow so far:

((¬q v p) ^ (¬p v r))→(¬r v q)
¬((¬q v p) ^ (¬p v r)) v (¬r v q)
¬(¬q v p) v ¬( ¬p v r)) v (¬r v q)
(q ^ ¬p) v (p ^ r) v (¬r v q)

From here, I'm not sure how to boil down this DNF form into a single 'x and/or/implies y'

Mucho thanks in advance ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
c4nn3t said:
(q ^ ¬p) v (p ^ r) v (¬r v q)
The middle disjunct should be $p\land\neg r$.

Use the fact that $(x\land y)\lor x=x$. Indeed,
\[
(x\land y)\lor x=(x\land y)\lor (x\land 1)=x\land (y\lor 1)=x\land 1=x.
\]

FAQ: Simplify Logic using One Connective: Solving ((q→p) ^ (p→r))→(r→q)

1. What is simplification of logic?

Simplification of logic is the process of reducing a complex logical statement to its most basic and concise form. This is done by using logic laws and rules to eliminate unnecessary components, making the statement easier to understand and evaluate.

2. Why is simplification of logic important in science?

Simplification of logic is important in science because it allows for easier understanding and analysis of complex systems. It also helps in identifying and eliminating errors or inconsistencies in logical reasoning.

3. What are some common methods used for simplification of logic?

Some common methods used for simplification of logic include the use of truth tables, Boolean algebra, and Karnaugh maps. These methods help in breaking down a complex logical statement into simpler components that can be evaluated and combined to form the final simplified statement.

4. What are the benefits of simplification of logic?

The benefits of simplification of logic include improved clarity and efficiency in logical reasoning, reduced chances of errors and inconsistencies, and easier identification of patterns and relationships within a system. It also helps in making complex concepts more accessible to a wider audience.

5. Can simplification of logic be applied to all types of logic?

Yes, simplification of logic can be applied to all types of logic, including propositional logic, predicate logic, and fuzzy logic. However, the methods and techniques used may vary depending on the type of logic being simplified.

Back