Simplify the logarithim expression

In summary: Note: in this answer, all of the logs are base e, though I don't have much of a clue as to how to make that clear in Yahoo Answers except by this note.]In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying expressions involving logarithms and proving logarithmic identities. The first expression e^{a ln b} can be simplified to b^a using the laws of exponents. The identities lnab = lna + lnb and lna^b = blna can be derived from these laws. The conversation also mentions proving the derivative of ln(x) and deriving the approximation ln(1+x) ~ x using the Taylor series. One approach to proving the identities is by rewriting exponential equations as logarithmic
vorcil
not actually homework, but things I need to know:

1: simplify the expression [tex] e^{a ln b} [/tex] (write it in a way that dosen't involve logarithims)

i want to prove the identities:
lnab = lna + lnb
lna^b = blna
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}lnx = \frac{1}{x} [/tex]

i also want to derive the useful assumption
[tex] ln(1+x) ~ aprrox = x [/tex]

thank you in advance

---------------------------------------------
my working
1: [tex] e^{a ln b} = e^a * e^{ln b} = e^a * b [/tex]
that's as far as i got, i think that's correct but I'm not sure, because i used a way that INVOLVES logarithims

2:proving lnab = lna + lnb
not quite sure how to prove this..

3:proving lna^b = blna
again not sure how to prove this, I've just remembered the rule and assumed it was right

4:proving d/dx lnx = 1/x
should i be using the taylor series to prove these?
i haven't officially been taught the taylor series yet, but i understand how it works

Physics news on Phys.org

vorcil said:
my working
1: [tex] e^{a ln b} = e^a * e^{ln b} = e^a * b [/tex]
that's as far as i got, i think that's correct but I'm not sure, because i used a way that INVOLVES logarithims
That's not correct. You're thinking of the rule ea+b=eaeb, but you're not adding a and ln b.

is it not,

b^a then?

i know that is one of the rules, [tex] e^{a ln b} = b^a [/tex]
i can't prove that it's correct but i remember that,
so the first one is just b^a?

vorcil said:
is it not,

b^a then?

i know that is one of the rules, [tex] e^{a ln b} = b^a [/tex]
i can't prove that it's correct but i remember that,
so the first one is just b^a?

Yes, because you already know that [tex] x^{yz} [/tex] can also be expressed as [tex] (x^y)^z [/tex] so you simply apply that to your problem and simplify the logarithm. The solutions to problems 2 and 3 can also be derived from these laws of exponents.

ianprime0509 said:
Yes, because you already know that [tex] x^{yz} [/tex] can also be expressed as [tex] (x^y)^z [/tex] so you simply apply that to your problem and simplify the logarithm. The solutions to problems 2 and 3 can also be derived from these laws of exponents.

can someone show me the proof for 3 please?
only just managed to figure out a way for problem 2

x=ln(a)
y=ln(b)

a=e^x
b=e^y

a*b = e^x *e^y
a*b = e^(x+y)
ln(a*b) = ln(e^x + e^y)
ln(a*b) = x + y
ln(a*b) = ln(a) + ln(y)

For #3, let y = ln a.

y = ln a <==> a = ey
Then ab = (ey)b = eby

Now, rewrite this exponential equation as a log equation, and the result you're looking for will fall out.

Related to Simplify the logarithim expression

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse of an exponential function. It is used to solve equations where the variable is in the exponent.

What does it mean to simplify a logarithm expression?

Simplifying a logarithm expression means to rewrite it in a simpler form, using logarithm rules and properties.

What are some common logarithm rules and properties?

Some common logarithm rules and properties include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula.

How do I use logarithm rules to simplify an expression?

To simplify a logarithm expression, you can use the rules to combine logarithms, simplify exponents, and solve for the variable.

Why is it important to simplify logarithm expressions?

Simplifying logarithm expressions can make them easier to work with and can help in solving equations and practical problems. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior and properties of logarithms.