Simplifying a solution such that the imaginary number goes away

In summary, the conversation discusses a general solution to a system of differential equations and how to simplify it by using Euler's formula and introducing new parameters. The final solution is shown to be Y=C1*z+C2*conjugate(z), where z is a complex matrix, and the condition for Y to be real is Y=conjugate(Y). It is suggested to set C1 and C2 as (a+bi) and (a-bi) respectively.
jwang34

Homework Statement

Given a general solution to a system of differential equations:

Y(t)= C1(1;2i)e^(2it)+C2(1;-2i)e^(-2it)

side note: i is sqrt of -1, and the (1;2i) is a 2 by 1 matrix. The idea is to simplify the solution such that the imaginary components go away.

Homework Equations

Euler's formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have subbed the e^(2it) and e^(-2it) with their appropriate sin and cos counterparts. This is what I have have:

Y(t)= C1(1;2i)[cos(2t)+isin(2t)]+C2(1;-2i)[cos(2t)-isin(2t)]

and so from here, I lumped the cosines and sines together:

Y(t)=[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]cos(2t)+i[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]sin(2t)

I know I need to introduce two new free parameters to replace C1 and C2 but I'm not sure if I do that now or is there another way? I'm especially stumped as how to rid of the i from the (1;2i) and (1;-2i). Any suggestions are welcome. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is really just Y=C1*z+C2*conjugate(z) where z is a complex matrix. The condition for Y to be real is Y=conjugate(Y). Putting it all together, don't you just get C1=conjugate(C2)?

I'm not sure I totally understand. So you're saying I set C1=the conjugate of C2? Or should I do set C1=C2*conjugate(z)?

C1 and C2 are constants, right? I'm just saying if C1=(a+bi) then C2=(a-bi). a and b also constants. That will cancel all of the imaginary parts. You need to check this yourself. Shouldn't this:

Y(t)=[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]cos(2t)+i[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]sin(2t)

be this:

Y(t)=[C1(1;2i)+C2(1;-2i)]cos(2t)+i[C1(1;2i)-C2(1;-2i)]sin(2t)

Yes, you are right. I think I understand it now. So I should set C1=(a+bi) and C2=(a-bi) and the complex matrices will be resolved. Thank you so much!

Related to Simplifying a solution such that the imaginary number goes away

1. What does it mean to simplify a solution such that the imaginary number goes away?

Simplifying a solution such that the imaginary number goes away means to rewrite the solution in a form where there are no imaginary numbers present. This is typically done by combining like terms and using the properties of complex numbers to eliminate the imaginary component.

2. Why is it important to simplify a solution with imaginary numbers?

It is important to simplify a solution with imaginary numbers because it provides a clearer understanding of the underlying mathematical concept being represented. It also allows for easier computation and manipulation of the solution in further calculations.

3. What are some strategies for simplifying a solution with imaginary numbers?

Some strategies for simplifying a solution with imaginary numbers include using the distributive property, combining like terms, and using the properties of complex numbers such as the conjugate property and the square root property.

4. Can the imaginary number ever completely disappear from a solution?

No, the imaginary number cannot completely disappear from a solution. It is a fundamental part of complex numbers and is necessary for representing certain mathematical concepts. However, it can be simplified or reduced to a more manageable form.

5. Are there any real-life applications for simplifying solutions with imaginary numbers?

Yes, simplifying solutions with imaginary numbers has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in electrical engineering, complex numbers are used to represent the voltage and current in alternating current circuits, and simplifying these solutions allows for easier analysis and troubleshooting.