Simplifying an Expression: (2x^2-3x+1)(4)(3x+2)^3(3)+(3x+2)^4(4x-3)

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation that has x^2(x+1)^2 as one of the factors. They are trying to factor out the a (or in this case the x^2(x+1)^2) and are finding that it is easier to factor out the 2x^2-3x+1.
Cornraker

Homework Statement

I have a quiz tomorrow and i know a problem like this is going to be on it and i need to figure out the process

Homework Equations

the expression is: [tex](2x^2-3x+1)(4)(3x+2)^3(3)+(3x+2)^4(4x-3)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the final answer[tex](3x+2)^3(36x^2-37x+6)[/tex]

Ive tried to work the problem several times and i can't figure out how it turns out to be this. can somebody please do a step by step. it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure thing. (by the way you should have called it factorizing an expression :-p)

You need to have the basic idea of factorizing deeply embedded into your head. Mainly, [tex]ab+ac=a(b+c)[/tex] (1). a,b and c could be anything much more complicated.

Lets take [tex]a=x^2(x+1)^2[/tex]

Then we would need to factorize [tex]x^2(x+1)^2b+x^2(x+1)^2c[/tex]

Can you now see how we can factorize out the a (or in this case the [tex]x^2(x+1)^2[/tex]) ? We now get the same thing as in (1): [tex]a(b+c)=x^2(x+1)^2(b+c)[/tex]

At the same time, b and c can be something more complicated as well. If we let [tex]b=x(x+1)[/tex] and [tex]c=x+1[/tex] then we now have:

[tex]a\left(x(x+1)+(x+1)\right)[/tex] but this time we aren't completely done because b and c have a common factor also. [tex]x(x+1)+(x+1)=x(x+1)+1(x+1)=(x+1)(x+1)=(x+1)^2[/tex]

So let's put it all together now in [tex]ab+ac=a(b+c)[/tex] where [tex]a=x^2(x+1)^2, b=x(x+1), c=x+1[/tex]

[tex]x^2(x+1)^2(x(x+1)+(x+1))=x^2(x+1)^2(x+1)^2=x^2(x+1)^4[/tex] This last form is completely factorized.

Now looking at your expression: let some other variable such as [tex]y=(3x+2)^3[/tex] and see if that makes things easier to factorize. Also you'll need to factorize [tex]2x^2-3x+1[/tex], can you do this?

well i'll sure try to do it. thank you very much for your time and this lengthy explanation!

i think i got it! if I'm correct i can factor out a (3x+2)^3 and that makes thing a whole lot simpler

Cornraker said:
well i'll sure try to do it. thank you very much for your time and this lengthy explanation!
No problem! :smile:

Cornraker said:
i think i got it! if I'm correct i can factor out a (3x+2)^3 and that makes thing a whole lot simpler
Yep :wink:

Related to Simplifying an Expression: (2x^2-3x+1)(4)(3x+2)^3(3)+(3x+2)^4(4x-3)

What does it mean to simplify an expression?

Simplifying an expression involves using mathematical operations to reduce the expression to its most basic form. This often involves combining like terms, using the distributive property, and applying order of operations.

Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions not only makes them easier to read and understand, but it also allows for more efficient calculations and can help identify patterns and relationships between different expressions.

What are some common techniques for simplifying an expression?

Some common techniques for simplifying expressions include combining like terms, using the distributive property, factoring, and canceling out common factors.

How do I know when an expression is fully simplified?

An expression is considered fully simplified when there are no more like terms that can be combined and all parentheses have been removed by using the distributive property. It should also follow the rules of order of operations.

Can simplifying an expression change its value?

Yes, simplifying an expression can change its value because it involves performing mathematical operations. However, the simplified expression should still be equivalent to the original expression.

Back