Simplifying an expression involving complex exponentials

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression \sum_{ \alpha_1 + \cdots + \alpha_n = k} e^{i(\alpha_1 \theta_1 + \cdots + \alpha_n \theta_n)} by expanding the sum of states over all allowed values of {α1,α2,...} and using geometric series. The expression is derived from determining the characters of irreps of SU(n).
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Simplify the following expression:
[tex]
\sum_{ \alpha_1 + \cdots + \alpha_n = k} e^{i(\alpha_1 \theta_1 + \cdots + \alpha_n \theta_n)}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha_n = k - \sum_{j=1}^{n-1} \alpha_j[/tex]
[tex]0 = \sum_{j=1}^{n} \theta_j[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to simplify the expression above into something a little more manageable. This expression comes from determining the characters of irreps of SU(n), so if that gives anyone ideas on how to simplify this, then any advice would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the first step I would do is to expand the sum of states over all allowed values of {α12,...}. So instead of having 1 sum, try writing it in the "traditional" form with n-1 sums;
[tex] \sum_{\alpha_1 = 0}^k \sum_{\alpha_2 = ...} ... \sum_{\alpha_{n-1} = ...} [/tex]
There's no sum over the last alpha because you already know it's value.

Then "all" you need to do is to do geometric series over and over again.

Related to Simplifying an expression involving complex exponentials

1. What is a complex exponential expression?

A complex exponential expression is an expression that includes a variable raised to a complex power. A complex number is a number that contains both a real and imaginary component, such as 3 + 2i. Therefore, a complex exponential expression may include terms such as (3 + 2i)^2 or (5 - 4i)^3.

2. Why is it important to simplify complex exponential expressions?

Simplifying complex exponential expressions can help to make them easier to work with and understand. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different terms in the expression.

3. What are the rules for simplifying complex exponential expressions?

The rules for simplifying complex exponential expressions are similar to those for simplifying regular exponential expressions. Some key rules include: combining like terms, distributing exponents, and using the rules of exponents (such as the power rule and product rule).

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying complex exponential expressions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying complex exponential expressions include forgetting to distribute exponents, incorrectly applying the rules of exponents, and forgetting to simplify terms with the same base and different exponents.

5. What are some strategies for simplifying complex exponential expressions?

Some strategies for simplifying complex exponential expressions include breaking down the expression into smaller parts, using the properties of logarithms, and converting complex exponential expressions into polar form.