Simplifying Boolean Circuits: W NAND X & YNORZ

In summary, the simplified equation (SOP FORM) for the given circuit is f = wx(y+z). This was achieved by applying De Morgan's Theorem to bring the negations inside the parenthesis.
shamieh
Find the simplified equation (SOP FORM) corresponding to the following circuit (i.e. apply Demorgan's theorem to bring the negations inside the parenthesis).

View attachment 1466So is it saying W NAND X which means (w!x!) + YNORZ so (w!x!) + (y!z!) = wxyz?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 59
Technology news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Find the simplified equation (SOP FORM) corresponding to the following circuit (i.e. apply Demorgan's theorem to bring the negations inside the parenthesis).

View attachment 1466So is it saying W NAND X which means (w!x!) + YNORZ so (w!x!) + (y!z!) = wxyz?

Your notation is a bit confusing to me. So let me write it as I'm used to.

You have f = (w NAND x) NOR (y NOR z).

Written in boolean form this is:
$$f = \overline{\overline{wx} + \overline{y+z}}$$
Applying De Morgan's Theorem ($\overline{p+q} = \overline p \cdot \overline q$) yields:
$$f = \overline{\overline{wx}} \cdot \overline{\overline{y+z}} = wx(y+z)$$

Perhaps you can simplify it further to SoP form?

Related to Simplifying Boolean Circuits: W NAND X & YNORZ

1. What is a Boolean circuit?

A Boolean circuit is a mathematical model used in computer science and electronic engineering to represent and manipulate logical expressions. It consists of logic gates, which perform basic Boolean operations, and wires, which carry the output of one gate to the input of another.

2. What does W NAND X & YNORZ mean?

W NAND X & YNORZ is a simplified Boolean expression that represents the logical operation of a NAND gate between the inputs W and X, followed by a NOR gate between the output of the NAND gate and the inputs Y and Z. This expression can also be written as (W NAND X) NOR (Y NOR Z).

3. How does simplifying Boolean circuits improve their performance?

Simplifying Boolean circuits reduces the number of logic gates and wires needed to represent a logical expression, which in turn reduces the complexity and improves the performance of the circuit. This is particularly important in electronic devices where speed and efficiency are crucial factors.

4. What are the benefits of using NAND and NOR gates in Boolean circuits?

NAND and NOR gates are known as "universal gates" because they can be used to implement any logical operation. This means that any logical expression can be simplified and represented using only these two gates, making the circuit more compact and efficient.

5. Can Boolean circuits only be simplified using NAND and NOR gates?

No, Boolean circuits can also be simplified using other types of logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates. However, NAND and NOR gates are commonly used because of their universal nature and ability to simplify complex expressions.