Simplifying finite geometric series expression

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a finite series of an exponential function and how it can be rewritten as a geometric series. The speaker then introduces the idea of using hyperbolic sine functions to further simplify the expression, but gets stuck and asks for suggestions or corrections. Finally, they give an example where a similar sum was needed in a different context.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

I've come across the type of sum in several places/problems but seem to be making no progress in trying to simplifying it further.

We have a finite series of some exponential function.

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{N}e^{-na} [/tex]

Where a is some constant, a quantum of energy or a phase factor etc.

Now I know that this is actually a geometric series with the common ratio [itex]e^{-a}[/itex] and the first term = 1. So the using the sum of N terms of a geometric series we have.

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{N}e^{-na} = \frac{1-e^{-Na}}{1-e^{-a}} [/tex]

If I take out a factor of [itex] e^{-Na/2} [/itex] from the numerator I can rewrite it as an hyperbolic sine function. I can do something similar for the denominator using a factor of [itex]e^{-a/2}[/itex], this gives:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{N}e^{-na} = \frac{e^{-Na/2}}{e^{a/2}}\frac{sinh{\frac{Na}{2}}}{sinh{\frac{a}{2}}}[/tex]

Here's where I get stuck. I can't think how to reduce this any further or clean it up. Can anyone suggest anything or point out a mistake I've made.

Thanks

BM

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Beer-Monster.

The expression you've given in the second last equation line is very simple: Did you have a reason why you wanted to get it in a particular form (like a hyperbolic trig function)?

One example where I felt something like that was needed involved interference from multiple wave sources. Each source successive source considered would add a phase differences [itex]\delta[/itex]. I managed to treat the waves as complex exponentials, with led to a similar sum but with a complex exponential. I was asked to determine the intensity as a function of angle from the sources. This seemed to suggest an answer as a trigonometric function of [itex]\theta[/itex].

You can simplify the first ratio to exp (-(N+1)a/2). I don't think this helps much.

FAQ: Simplifying finite geometric series expression

1. What is a finite geometric series expression?

A finite geometric series expression is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a finite number of terms in a geometric sequence. It can be written in the form of a1 + a1r + a1r2 + ... + a1rn-1, where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How do I simplify a finite geometric series expression?

To simplify a finite geometric series expression, you can use the formula: Sn = a1(1 - rn) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms in the series. You can also use the formula for the sum of a geometric series: Sn = a1(rn - 1) / (r - 1).

3. What is the difference between simplifying and evaluating a finite geometric series expression?

Simplifying a finite geometric series expression involves reducing it to its simplest form, while evaluating it involves finding the actual numerical value of the sum. Simplifying is usually done to make the expression easier to work with, while evaluating is done to find a specific solution to a problem.

4. Can a finite geometric series expression have an infinite number of terms?

No, a finite geometric series expression, by definition, has a finite number of terms. An infinite number of terms would make the series an infinite geometric series expression.

5. How can I use a finite geometric series expression in real-life situations?

A finite geometric series expression can be used to model real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and depreciation of assets. It can also be used to solve problems involving patterns or sequences, such as finding the total distance traveled in a trip with a constant speed and distance.