Simplifying Inverse Laplace Transform of s/(s+4)^4

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the inverse Laplace transform of the expression s/(s+4)^4. The solution is e^(-4t)(t^2/2 - (2/3)t^3). The conversation also mentions using Laplace transform tables, and suggests simplifying the equation before using the tables. Several transforms from a Laplace transform table are mentioned, including {1/(s+α)^{n+1}} and sF(s)-f(0). A helpful formula for solving the problem is also provided: \mathcal L^{-1}f(s+a) = e^{-at}\mathcal L^{-1}f(s).
kiwifruit

Homework Statement

the questions asks to determine inverse laplace transform of

s/(s+4)^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

this can supposedly be done just using laplace transform tables so I am guessing i need to simplify that to something that's workable but i don't know how.
the solution is
e^(-4t) (t^2/2 - (2/3) t^3)
anyone can help in directing me how to simplify that equation before i use tables to inverse?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, kiwifruit! :smile:

Which transforms can you find that are somewhat close to your question?
Or transforms that perhaps may be of help?

i would say
laplace of e^at = 1/(s-a)
or
laplace of cos(at) = s/(s^2 + a^2)
is similar to the question but i don't see how to simplify or factorize it to something workable

I find this formula frequently helpful:

[tex]\mathcal L^{-1}f(s+a) = e^{-at}\mathcal L^{-1}f(s)[/tex]

If you rewrite the expression like this:
[tex]\frac{(s+4)-4}{(s+4)^3}[/tex]
and break it apart, the answer should fall right out.

FAQ: Simplifying Inverse Laplace Transform of s/(s+4)^4

1. What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

An Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the original function that was transformed using the Laplace Transform. It is used to solve differential equations and is often used in engineering and physics.

2. How is the Inverse Laplace Transform calculated?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is calculated by using a complex contour integral. This involves integrating the function over a closed contour in the complex plane. The result of the integral is the original function in the time domain.

3. What is the relationship between the Laplace Transform and the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform and the Inverse Laplace Transform are inverse operations of each other. This means that if we apply the Laplace Transform to a function and then apply the Inverse Laplace Transform to the result, we will get back the original function.

4. What is the significance of the region of convergence in the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The region of convergence is a set of values in the complex plane for which the Inverse Laplace Transform exists. It is important because if a certain value falls outside the region of convergence, the Inverse Laplace Transform does not exist for that value and the function cannot be recovered.

5. How is the Inverse Laplace Transform used in real-life applications?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve differential equations and model systems in the time domain. It is also used in signal processing and control systems to analyze and design systems in the time domain.