Simplifying Logarithmic Expressions to \log_x{y}

In summary, the problem is asking to simplify the expression (\log_a{b})(\log_b{c})(\log_c{d}) in terms of \log_x{y}. The solution involves using the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression as a single logarithm, which is log_a d.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Simplify [tex](\log_a{b})(\log_b{c})(\log_c{d})[/tex] in terms of [tex]\log_x{y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well , the furthest i can reach is

[tex]\frac{\log_xd}{\log_xa}[/tex] , how do i express in terms of [tex]\log_x{y}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Since there are no "x" or "y" in the problem I think you are misunderstanding.

"in term so [itex]log_x y[/itex]" simply means "in terms of a single logarithm"

You could, for example, put everything in terms of a logarithm base a:
[tex]log_b c= \frac{log_a c}{log_a b}[/tex]
and
[tex]log_c d= \frac{log_a d}{log_a c}[/tex]
so
[tex](log_a b)(log_b c)(log_c d)= (log_a b)\frac{log_a c}{log_a b}\frac{log_a d}{log_a c}= log_a d[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Since there are no "x" or "y" in the problem I think you are misunderstanding.

"in term so [itex]log_x y[/itex]" simply means "in terms of a single logarithm"

You could, for example, put everything in terms of a logarithm base a:
[tex]log_b c= \frac{log_a c}{log_a b}[/tex]
and
[tex]log_c d= \frac{log_a d}{log_a c}[/tex]
so
[tex](log_a b)(log_b c)(log_c d)= (log_a b)\frac{log_a c}{log_a b}\frac{log_a d}{log_a c}= log_a d[/tex]

thanks !

Related to Simplifying Logarithmic Expressions to \log_x{y}

What is a logarithmic expression?

A logarithmic expression is an equation that relates a number to its exponent. It is written in the form of logx(y), where x is the base and y is the number.

Why do we simplify logarithmic expressions?

We simplify logarithmic expressions to make them easier to work with and to find the value of the expression. Simplifying can also help us to understand the relationship between the base and the number.

What are the rules for simplifying logarithmic expressions?

There are three main rules for simplifying logarithmic expressions: 1) logx(x) = 1, 2) logx(1) = 0, and 3) logx(xa) = a. These rules help us to simplify expressions by changing the base and exponent to their equivalent values.

Can we simplify any logarithmic expression?

No, we can only simplify logarithmic expressions that follow the rules mentioned above. If the expression does not follow these rules, it cannot be simplified further.

How do we solve logarithmic equations?

To solve logarithmic equations, we can use the rules of logarithms to simplify the expression and then solve for the variable. We can also use the inverse property of logarithms, which states that x = logb(c) is equivalent to bx = c.