Simplifying natural log of complex number

In summary, the problem is to sketch lines of constant u and v in the image plane for the function Log[(z+1)/(z-1)]. The solution involves writing the expression in u+iv form and using the formula ln[z]=ln|z|+iarg(z). The modulus and argument of z+1 are calculated, and the final expression is ln(z+1)=ln[(x+1)^2+y^2]^1/2+i[arctan(y/(x+1))]. The generalization of ln[z]=ln|z|+iarg(z) is justified by noting that it holds true for any non-zero complex number, not just z.
Sturk200

Homework Statement

The problem is to sketch lines of constant u and v in the image plane for the function Log[(z+1)/(z-1)].

Homework Equations

z=x+iy

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to do this I have to get the expression into u+iv form, so that I can read off and manipulate the u and v aspects of the function. What I can't figure out is how to get this equation into u+iv form.

I know that for Ln[z], I can write Ln[reitheta] = Ln[r] + itheta. Then u=Ln[r] and v=theta. But having that added +1 in the natural log is really throwing me off. Does anyone have any ideas for how to get this into u+iv form? Is there some obvious rule for simplifying the logarithm of a sum that I'm forgetting?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\ln f(z) = \ln |f(z)| + i\arg(f(z))[/itex].

It might be easier to write [itex]\ln\frac{z + 1}{z-1} = \ln(z+1) - \ln(z - 1)[/itex] first.

pasmith said:
[itex]\ln f(z) = \ln |f(z)| + i\arg(f(z))[/itex].

It might be easier to write [itex]\ln\frac{z + 1}{z-1} = \ln(z+1) - \ln(z - 1)[/itex] first.

Thanks for your response. I think I'm starting to get it now that I've seen it in general form. Here is what I'm getting:

The modulus of (z+1) is [(x+1)2+y2]1/2, since 1 is a real number and therefore addends itself to the x-component of the modulus.

The argument of z+1 remains unchanged and is equal to theta.

Therefore ln(z+1) = ln[(x+1)^2 + y^2]^1/2 + i(theta).

Is that on the right track?

I'm also wondering how you go about justifying the generalization in the first line of your post. It's clearly true when f(z)=z, but how do you get from there to the general case of taking the modulus and the argument more abstractly?

Sturk200 said:
Thanks for your response. I think I'm starting to get it now that I've seen it in general form. Here is what I'm getting:

The modulus of (z+1) is [(x+1)2+y2]1/2, since 1 is a real number and therefore addends itself to the x-component of the modulus.

The argument of z+1 remains unchanged and is equal to theta.

Are you sure? [itex]\tan (\arg(z+1)) = \frac{y}{x+1}[/itex] which is not in general equal to [itex]\frac yx[/itex].

Therefore ln(z+1) = ln[(x+1)^2 + y^2]^1/2 + i(theta).

Is that on the right track?

I'm also wondering how you go about justifying the generalization in the first line of your post. It's clearly true when f(z)=z, but how do you get from there to the general case of taking the modulus and the argument more abstractly?

[itex]z[/itex] in [itex]\ln z = \ln |z| + i\arg(z)[/itex] is just a (non-zero) complex number. You can replace it with any other collection of symbols which represent a (non-zero) complex number and the equation still holds.

pasmith said:
Are you sure? tan(arg(z+1))=yx+1\tan (\arg(z+1)) = \frac{y}{x+1} which is not in general equal to yx\frac yx.

O boy, that was pretty dumb. I think I'm actually getting it now.

So ln(z+1) = ln[(x+1)^2+y^2] 1/2+ i[arctan(y/(x+1))]. Is that right?

pasmith said:
zz in lnz=ln|z|+iarg(z)\ln z = \ln |z| + i\arg(z) is just a (non-zero) complex number. You can replace it with any other collection of symbols which represent a (non-zero) complex number and the equation still holds.

That makes so much sense, I don't know why I had a block on it before. Thanks again!

Related to Simplifying natural log of complex number

1. What is the natural logarithm of a complex number?

The natural logarithm of a complex number is a mathematical function that gives the power to which the mathematical constant e (approximately equal to 2.718) would have to be raised to produce the complex number.

2. How do you simplify the natural logarithm of a complex number?

To simplify the natural logarithm of a complex number, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule and power rule, to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. You may also need to use the properties of complex numbers, such as conjugation and the relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions.

3. Can the natural logarithm of a complex number be a complex number?

Yes, the natural logarithm of a complex number can be a complex number. This is because the natural logarithm function is defined for all complex numbers, not just real numbers. The result will be a complex number with both a real and imaginary part.

4. Is the natural logarithm of a complex number unique?

No, the natural logarithm of a complex number is not unique. This is because there are infinitely many values of e that can be raised to produce a given complex number, resulting in different logarithms. However, the principal value of the natural logarithm is typically used, which is the value with the imaginary part between -π and π.

5. How is the natural logarithm of a complex number used in science?

The natural logarithm of a complex number is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is often used to describe exponential growth or decay, as well as to model complex systems and phenomena. In addition, it is used in statistical analysis and in solving equations in complex analysis.