Simplifying the Factorial: How is it Done?

• Thread starter nitai108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, the simplification of \frac{n!}{(2n)!} = \frac{1}{(2n)(2n-1)...(n+1)} involves canceling out the common factors in the numerator and denominator. The (n+1) term comes from the fact that the denominator contains all integers from 2n down to 1, including n+1. This can be seen in a specific example for n = 4, where the (n+1) term is highlighted.
nitai108
Can somebody please explain to me this simplification and how it's done?

[tex]\frac{n!}{(2n)!}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{(2n)(2n-1)...(n+1)}[/tex]

Thanks a lot.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The original denominator is

[tex]
(2n)! = (2n)(2n-1) \cdots (n+1) n!
[/tex]

so things simply cancel.

statdad said:
The original denominator is

[tex]
(2n)! = (2n)(2n-1) \cdots (n+1) n!
[/tex]

so things simply cancel.

Thanks for the help. I still don't understand the (n + 1), where does it come from? I've tried to search the net, and my textbooks but I never found examples of (xn)!, only n! = n(n-1)!.

Think about the meaning of [tex] (2n)! [/tex]. It contains all the integers from [tex] 2n [/tex] down to [tex] 1 [/tex]. When you write out the entire factorial you must write down each one of those integers, and [tex] n + 1 [/tex] is one of them.

As a specific (but small enough to write down) example, look what happens for [tex] n = 4 [/tex]. This clearly means [tex] n+1 = 5 [/tex], which is the number I've placed in a box.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{n!}{(2n)!} & =\frac{4!}{8!} = \frac{4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}{6 \cdot \boxed{5} \cdot 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}\\
& = \frac{1}{8 \cdot 7 \cdot 6 \cdot \boxed{5}}= \frac{1}{(2n)\cdots (n+1)}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Basically, when you write out the factorials in numerator and denominator, the final [tex] n [/tex] factors cancel. Hope this helps.

Related to Simplifying the Factorial: How is it Done?

What is factorial simplification?

Factorial simplification is a mathematical process of simplifying expressions containing factorials. A factorial is denoted by an exclamation mark (!) and is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

Why is factorial simplification important?

Factorial simplification is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It is used in many areas of mathematics, such as probability, statistics, and combinatorics.

What are the rules for factorial simplification?

There are several rules for factorial simplification, including:

• n! = n x (n-1) x (n-2) x ... x 2 x 1
  • 0! = 1
  • n! = (n+1)! / (n+1)
  • n! x m! = (n x m)!

What is the difference between factorial and factorial simplification?

Factorial refers to the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number, whereas factorial simplification is the process of simplifying expressions containing factorials. Factorial simplification involves using rules to simplify the expression, while factorial is a specific value.

Can factorial simplification be applied to any expression?

No, factorial simplification can only be applied to expressions that contain factorials. It is not applicable to expressions with other mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.

Back