Simplifying the Summation Identity Using Complex Numbers

In summary, the problem cries out for the use of complex numbers. I'll prove a slightly more general result.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi,

I have been trying to solve this difficult problem for some time and I thought of at least two ways to prove it but to no avail...the second method that I thought of was to employ binomial expansion on the denominator and that did lead me to the result where it only has x terms in my final proof, but it did not lead to the desired result (and I should be able to tell beforehand that I wouldn't get anywhere near to the desired form of the result by expanding the expression on the denominator too)...I am really at my wit's end and really very mad:mad: at myself now and I'd be grateful if someone could throw some light on to the problem...thanks in advance.:)Let \(\displaystyle -1<x<1\), show that \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{6} {\frac{1-x^2}{1-2x\cos (\frac{2\pi k}{7})+x^2}}=\frac{7\left(1+x^7 \right)}{1-x^7}\).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let \(\displaystyle -1<x<1\), show that \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{6} {\frac{1-x^2}{1-2x\cos (\frac{2\pi k}{7})+x^2}}=\frac{7\left(1+x^7 \right)}{1-x^7}\).
This problem cries out for the use of complex numbers. I'll prove a slightly more general result.Let $\omega = e^{2\pi i/n}$, with complex conjugate $\overline{\omega} = \omega^{-1}$. The $n$th roots of unity are $\omega^k\ (0\leqslant k\leqslant n-1)$, and $\displaystyle 1-x^n = \prod_{k=0}^{n-1}(1-\omega^k x)$. It follows that there must be a partial-fraction decomposition of the form $$\frac n{1-x^n} = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\,\frac{s_k}{1-\omega^k x}.$$ To find the coefficients $s_j$, multiply both sides by $1-\omega^jx$ to get $$\frac {n(1-\omega^jx)}{1-x^n} = s_j + (1-\omega^jx)f(x)$$ for some function $f(x)$ that is continuous at $\omega^{-j}.$ Then $$s_j = \lim_{x\to\omega^{-j}}(s_j + (1-\omega^jx)f(x)) = \lim_{x\to\omega^{-j}}\frac {n(1-\omega^jx)}{1-x^n} = \lim_{x\to\omega^{-j}}\frac {-n\omega^j}{-nx^{n-1}} = 1,$$ (using l'Hôpital's rule to evaluate the limit). Therefore $$\frac n{1-x^n} = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\,\frac1{1-\omega^k x}.$$ Multiply that by 2, and use the facts that $\overline{\omega}^k = \omega^{n-k}$ and $\omega^k + \overline{\omega}^k = 2\cos\bigl(\frac{2k\pi}n\bigr)$, to get $$\frac {2n}{1-x^n} = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\,\biggl(\frac1{1-\omega^k x} + \frac1{1-\overline{\omega}^k x}\biggr) = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\,\frac{2-2x\cos\bigl(\frac{2k\pi}n\bigr)}{1-2x\cos\bigl(\frac{2k\pi}n\bigr) + x^2}.$$ Finally, subtract $n$ from both sides to get $$\frac{n(1+x^n)}{1-x^n} = \frac {2n}{1-x^n} - n = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\,\biggl(\frac{2-2x\cos\bigl(\frac{2k\pi}n\bigr)}{1-2x\cos\bigl(\frac{2k\pi}n\bigr) + x^2} - 1\biggr) = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\,\frac{1-x^2}{1-2x\cos\bigl(\frac{2k\pi}n\bigr) + x^2}.$$

Last edited:

Related to Simplifying the Summation Identity Using Complex Numbers

1. What is a summation identity?

A summation identity is a mathematical equation that expresses the relationship between the sum of a sequence of numbers and a simple formula involving that sequence.

2. How do you prove a summation identity?

To prove a summation identity, you need to show that the formula holds true for all values in the given sequence. This can be done through mathematical induction or using other mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation or substitution.

3. What are some common summation identities?

Some common summation identities include the arithmetic series identity, geometric series identity, and the binomial series identity. These identities are frequently used in various fields of mathematics and science.

4. What is the importance of proving a summation identity?

Proving a summation identity is important because it helps to establish the validity and reliability of the formula. It also allows for the use of the identity in various mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Can a summation identity be proven using real-world examples?

Yes, a summation identity can be proven using real-world examples. For instance, the arithmetic series identity can be demonstrated through calculating the total distance traveled by a car in a series of trips with different distances. This can help to illustrate the validity of the formula in a practical setting.