Simplifying this complicated fraction

In summary: That is a very good method you mention! My teacher taught be that method that I was talking about. Your method makes sense :)
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
1677526562681.png

How did they get y^7 in the bottom fraction? I got their answer except I had y^6. Would some please be able to help?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

How did they get y^7 in the bottom fraction?
Multiply both the top and bottom by ##y## to help simplify the numerator... :wink:

Likes member 731016
berkeman said:
Multiply both the top and bottom by ##y## to help simplify the numerator... :wink:
Thank you for your reply @berkeman! I see now :)

Likes berkeman
Callumnc1 said:
How did they get y^7 in the bottom fraction? I got their answer except I had y^6.
The old saying is "close, but no cigar."

Obviously, you did something wrong. If we look just at the numerator of the fraction in (1), we have:
$$3x^2y^3 - 3x^3y^2(-\frac{x^3}{y^3}) = 3x^2y^3 + \frac{3x^6}y$$

So the fraction in (1) can be rewritten as $$\frac{3x^2y^3 + \frac{3x^6}y}{y^6}$$

What do you need to do to turn this complex fraction into an ordinary fraction; i.e., one that is the quotient of two polynomials?

Likes member 731016
Mark44 said:
The old saying is "close, but no cigar."

Obviously, you did something wrong. If we look just at the numerator of the fraction in (1), we have:
$$3x^2y^3 - 3x^3y^2(-\frac{x^3}{y^3}) = 3x^2y^3 + \frac{3x^6}y$$

So the fraction in (1) can be rewritten as $$\frac{3x^2y^3 + \frac{3x^6}y}{y^6}$$

What do you need to do to turn this complex fraction into an ordinary fraction; i.e., one that is the quotient of two polynomials?
Thank you for your reply @Mark44!

You multiply the ##3x^2y^3## and ##\frac{3x^6}{y}## by ##y## then flip the ##y^6## up

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
You multiply the ##3x^2y^3## and ##\frac{3x^6}{y}## by ##y## then flip the ##y^6## up
That's not a good way to think about it. The next step from where I left off is to multiply the complex fraction by 1, in the form of ##\frac y y##. That will bump the exponent on y in the first term up top and the term in the denominator, and will clear the fraction in the second term up top. You can always multiply by 1 without changing the value of the thing that is being multiplied.

Missing out on concepts like this is why I recommended spending some time going over basic precalculus topics in another thread you posted.

Likes member 731016 and berkeman
Mark44 said:
That's not a good way to think about it. The next step from where I left off is to multiply the complex fraction by 1, in the form of ##\frac y y##. That will bump the exponent on y in the first term up top and the term in the denominator, and will clear the fraction in the second term up top. You can always multiply by 1 without changing the value of the thing that is being multiplied.

Missing out on concepts like this is why I recommended spending some time going over basic precalculus topics in another thread you posted.
Thank you for your reply @Mark44!

That is a very good method you mention! My teacher taught be that method that I was talking about. Your method makes sense :)

Related to Simplifying this complicated fraction

What is the first step in simplifying a complicated fraction?

The first step is to factor both the numerator and the denominator completely. This means breaking them down into their prime factors or identifying and factoring out any common algebraic expressions.

How do I handle complex fractions with variables?

For fractions with variables, factor both the numerator and the denominator to their simplest forms. Look for common factors that can be canceled out. Be cautious about variable restrictions to avoid division by zero.

What should I do if the fraction contains addition or subtraction?

If the fraction includes addition or subtraction in the numerator or denominator, try to combine like terms or use common denominators to simplify the expression before factoring further.

How can I simplify a fraction with multiple layers of fractions?

For nested fractions (fractions within fractions), start by simplifying the innermost fraction first. Convert the complex fraction into a single fraction by finding a common denominator if necessary, and then simplify from there.

What if I can't find any common factors to cancel out?

If there are no common factors to cancel out, the fraction is already in its simplest form. Double-check your factoring to ensure no common factors were overlooked, but if none exist, the fraction cannot be simplified further.

Back