Simpson's Rule to find the volume of f(x) rotated about the x and y axis.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Simpson's rule to find the area under a curve and the volume of revolution using shells and cross-sections. The speaker is seeking help in understanding how to rotate the area without a given f(x) and combining function with Simpson's rule.
arishorts

Homework Statement

71iut4.jpg

Answers in the back of the book
about x-axis= 190
about y-axis= 828

Homework Equations

Simpson's Rule: (dx/3)* sum of(sequence of coefficients {1,4,2...2,4,1}*sequence of function values{f(0), f(1), f(2)...f(n-2),f(n-1), f(n)})

Volume using Shells: 2π ∫ (radius)(height) dx

Volume using Cross-Sections: π ∫ (outer radius)^2 - (inner radius)^2 dx

The Attempt at a Solution

2h4cjv5.jpg

I found the area (≈) under the curve using Simpson's law, how do i rotate it without a given f(x)? The book doesn't ask for the specific method (either shells or cross-sections), but I'd like to understand how to do both. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
arishorts said:
I found the area (≈) under the curve using Simpson's law, how do i rotate it without a given f(x)? The book doesn't ask for the specific method (either shells or cross-sections), but I'd like to understand how to do both. Please help.

The integral for a volume of revolution of ##f(x)## between ##a## and ##b## is$$
V=\pi\int_a^b f^2(x)dx$$Do Simpson's rule on that, not on the area integral.

we're not given f(x) though. We're only given the values of f(x)

arishorts said:
we're not given f(x) though. We're only given the values of f(x)

So you can figure out the values of ##\pi f^2(x)## and do Simpsons rule just like you did for the area.

Great question. Would someone please give more details as to combining function and s rule?

Related to Simpson's Rule to find the volume of f(x) rotated about the x and y axis.

1. What is Simpson's Rule for finding the volume of f(x) rotated about the x and y axis?

Simpson's Rule is a method for approximating the volume of a solid generated by rotating a curve f(x) around the x or y axis. It involves dividing the area under the curve into a series of smaller sections and using a formula to calculate the volume of each section.

2. How is Simpson's Rule different from other methods of finding volume?

Simpson's Rule differs from other methods, such as the disk or shell method, because it takes into account the shape of the curve and uses smaller sections to create a more accurate approximation of the total volume.

3. When should Simpson's Rule be used to find the volume of a solid?

Simpson's Rule is best used when the curve f(x) is difficult to integrate using traditional methods, or when the shape of the curve is irregular and cannot be easily calculated using other methods.

4. What are the limitations of Simpson's Rule?

Simpson's Rule is an approximation and may not be as accurate as other methods, especially when the curve is highly irregular. It also requires a large number of sections to be calculated in order to get a more precise result.

5. How can Simpson's Rule be applied in real-world situations?

Simpson's Rule can be used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as calculating the volume of a propeller or turbine blade, or estimating the amount of liquid in a cylindrical tank with a non-uniform shape.