Simulate dice/coin averages using TI-84 calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a histogram showing the averages of 5000 samples of 500 dice each. The speaker shares a program they created to generate a list of averages for a six-sided dice, which they will post once the simulation is complete. They also mention potentially sharing a picture of the histogram. The program is explained briefly, with a summary of its steps and purpose.
moonman239
I want to create a histogram that shows the averages of 5000 samples of 500 dice each. How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind that. I created a program that generates a list of averages for a six-sided dice. I will post the code as soon as the calculator's done running a simulation. Maybe I'll even post a shot of the histogram (which is not in the program.)

Feel free to do whatever you want with the code.

As promised, here is the code I used to simulate the means of samples of 6-sided dice.

:ClrHome
:Output(1,1,"HI")
:Input "SIZE",S
:Input "SAMPLENUM",N
:For(I,1,N)
:mean(randInt(1,6,S)) -> L1(I)
:Disp(N-1)
:End

For you non-coders, this program will first clear the home screen of basically whatever you were looking at before you hit the "PRGM" button. Then it will say "Hi." Then it will ask for the sample size. Then it will ask for the number of samples. Then it will take one sample, calculate the mean, then store the mean in the first row of list 1. Then it will take another sample, calculate the average, then store the mean in the next row of list 1. It will keep taking samples, calculating the means, and storing the means in list 1 until it has taken as many samples as you wanted it to take.

Related to Simulate dice/coin averages using TI-84 calculator?

1. How do I simulate dice/coin averages using a TI-84 calculator?

To simulate dice/coin averages using a TI-84 calculator, you will need to use the random number generator function. Press the "Math" button and then navigate to the "PRB" menu. From there, select the "randInt(" function and input the number of sides for the dice or the number of possible outcomes for the coin. Press "Enter" to generate a random number and repeat the process to simulate multiple rolls.

2. What is the purpose of simulating dice/coin averages?

Simulating dice/coin averages allows us to understand the expected outcomes of a random event. This can be useful in testing hypotheses or making predictions in various fields, such as statistics, economics, and game theory.

3. How accurate are the results from simulating dice/coin averages on a TI-84 calculator?

The accuracy of the results will depend on the number of simulations and the random number generator function used. Generally, the more simulations you run, the more accurate the results will be. However, keep in mind that these results are still based on randomness and may not be exactly representative of real-life scenarios.

4. Can I change the settings for the random number generator on a TI-84 calculator?

Yes, you can change the settings for the random number generator on a TI-84 calculator. Press the "Mode" button and use the arrow keys to navigate to the "rand" option. From there, you can choose between "randInt(" for integers or "rand(" for decimals. You can also adjust the seed value to change the starting point for the random numbers generated.

5. Are there any other functions on a TI-84 calculator that can help with simulating dice/coin averages?

Yes, there are other functions on a TI-84 calculator that can assist with simulating dice/coin averages. These include the "List" function, which can store and manipulate a list of random numbers, and the "Stats" function, which can calculate various statistical measures such as mean and standard deviation based on a given set of data. These functions can be useful for analyzing the results of your simulations.