Simulated astrophysics equations

In summary, the equations for simulated astrophysics discussed in the conversation involve basic algebra and trigonometry, with some occasional use of vector algebra. For more precise calculations and understanding of the underlying algorithms, knowledge of calculus and vector math would be useful. Recommended resources for further learning include "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus and "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Bate, Mueller, and White.
conure
Simulated "astrophysics" equations

Hi all,

TL;DR - Please tell me what level of mathematics I require for the equations posted at the end

I am a software developer that is eager to improve my knowledge of maths and physics, however the mathematics required for my BSc only went through algebra then onto trigonometry. I don't know any calculus.

I am currently teaching myself from Khan Academy and a few books (both Maths and Physics) because I have 3 months until the next academic year begins for my degree.

In have been playing around with a light simulater called Kerbal Space Program, and in an attempt to improve both my coding, mathematics and physics I would like to build a calculator that runs on my PC (I'll probably get it running on my phone too) for various orbital transfers.

Effectively, I'm going to have to build a program that accepts a number of variables from a user then crunches the equations seen here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16511-Tutorial-Interplanetary-How-To-Guide

The problem is, my limited knowledge of mathematics/physics means I'm not sure "how advanced" these equations are. Are they calculus, or basic algebra? Is it likely I can tackle them by brushing up on my basic algebra skills?

Please let me know what I need to focus on to understand the maths involved here!

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no mathematician, but there is no differential calculus in the equations you posted. I could assume then that these equations would be easy enough to program. Possibly brush up on indices and I can see an arccos there (cos^-1) which is also basic trigonometry.

Best of luck
Archie

Much depends upon what you want to achieve with your project. Basic Hohmann transfers without nit-picky orbital timings and perturbations by nearby bodies can be handled by basic algebra and trig. Crude gravity assist maneuvers likewise, again presuming you don't need precision.

High precision planetary positions are calculated by series-based models, and involve lots of sine and cosine terms. Still manageable with basic algebra/trig if you can fathom the published algorithms.

A good book for astronomy-type calculations is "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus. It's essentially a standard text for those who want to implement astronomy related calculations.

Anything beyond simple orbital maneuvers without precise timing requirements will involve vector algebra. I spotted one vector equation, h = r x v. That's a cross product of radius and velocity vectors to yield the specific angular momentum vector, h.

At the basic computer implementation level everything boils down to basic mathematical operations. So if you've got a 'canned' algorithm, no special math is required. If you want to understand where the algorithms come from or solve problems from scratch by concocting your own solutions, you'll need lots of vector math and you'll soon run into calculus. A good (and very inexpensive!) book to have on hand for this is "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Bate, Mueller, and White.

Related to Simulated astrophysics equations

1. What exactly is simulated astrophysics?

Simulated astrophysics is the use of computer simulations to model and study the behavior of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe. This allows scientists to make predictions and gain a better understanding of the complex processes that occur in outer space.

2. How are simulated astrophysics equations created?

Simulated astrophysics equations are created by combining mathematical models and algorithms with observational data and physical laws. This allows scientists to simulate the behavior of celestial objects and phenomena in a virtual environment.

3. What types of celestial objects can be studied using simulated astrophysics equations?

Simulated astrophysics equations can be used to study a wide range of celestial objects, including stars, planets, galaxies, black holes, and even the entire universe. These equations can also be applied to study various phenomena such as gravitational waves, supernovae, and cosmic radiation.

4. How accurate are simulated astrophysics equations?

The accuracy of simulated astrophysics equations depends on various factors, such as the quality of observational data, the complexity of the phenomena being studied, and the computational power of the simulation. Generally, these equations can provide a good representation of the behavior of celestial objects and phenomena, but they are not always 100% accurate.

5. What are the benefits of using simulated astrophysics equations?

Simulated astrophysics equations allow scientists to study and understand complex processes in the universe that are not easily observable in real life. These simulations also enable researchers to make predictions and test theories, leading to a better understanding of the universe and its evolution over time.