Simulating Capillary Effects in Femlab (pre-new version)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of simulating capillary effects in a channel using femlab, specifically excluding the newest version. The new version has a wetted wall boundary condition setting, but the older version does not. The speaker asks for help and PerennialII suggests borrowing the implementation from the new version. However, the speaker mentions that the new version is not available anymore and they are unsure how to input the necessary data into the old version.
rjstr
Is it possible to simulate capillary effects in a channel using femlab (exclude the newest version)? I mean the new version has wetted wall boundary condition setting, which can set the wall adhesion and the contact angle between the air/liquid interface and the wall. But the older version..., how...? Is there anyone who could help me? I am almost desperated...

Physics news on Phys.org
How about "borrowing the implementation" of the new version and inputting what they've there for example as a scalar expression? Then use it as a boundary condition.

Thank you very much for your advice, dear PerennialII. I really want to do that as you said. But the problem is that the new version is not available any more. I saved the results as m-file, but there are nothing written about the subdomain and boundary equation systems which I definitely need to input in the old version. hm...:-(
Thank you any way.

FAQ: Simulating Capillary Effects in Femlab (pre-new version)

1. What is Femlab and how does it simulate capillary effects?

Femlab is a software tool used in the field of computational fluid dynamics to simulate fluid flow and other related phenomena. It uses the finite element method to solve complex differential equations and simulate the behavior of fluids, including capillary effects.

2. What are capillary effects and why are they important to simulate?

Capillary effects refer to the behavior of liquids in small spaces, such as the rise or fall of liquid in a narrow tube due to surface tension. These effects are important to simulate because they play a crucial role in many real-world applications, including microfluidics, oil recovery, and inkjet printing.

3. Can Femlab simulate different types of capillary effects?

Yes, Femlab has the capability to simulate various types of capillary effects, such as capillary rise, capillary pressure, and capillary flow. It can also simulate the effects of different fluid properties, such as viscosity and surface tension, on these phenomena.

4. What are the limitations of Femlab in simulating capillary effects?

Like any simulation tool, Femlab has some limitations in simulating capillary effects. It may not be able to accurately capture the behavior of complex fluids or the effects of certain boundary conditions. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation results may depend on the quality of the input data and the chosen mesh size.

5. How can I learn to use Femlab for simulating capillary effects?

Femlab is a user-friendly software with a comprehensive user guide and tutorial materials available online. Additionally, there are many online resources, forums, and workshops that can help you learn how to use Femlab for simulating capillary effects. You can also reach out to the Femlab community for support and guidance.