Simulink Simulation of Inverted Pendulum: Help Needed

In summary, The conversation is about simulating an inverted pendulum using Simulink and a DC-motor. The system is initially accurate but becomes unstable after 8 seconds, causing the pendulum to oscillate beyond 10 degrees. Possible solutions to make the system more stable include increasing the motor's torque, increasing damping, or using a PID controller.
storcken
I hope this is the right place to post.

I am trying to simulate an inverted pendulum as seen in the picture using simulink, it is supposed to balance by applying momentum with a DC-motor. I have used the equation in the picture to make the block diagram and the result of the running the simulation with initial value θ=10deg and M=0 is seen in the plot. It seems to be accurate the first 8 seconds but then somethings happen and I don't know what, is there anybody that can help me? What have i done wrong?

Attachments

• Pendulum.jpg
    Pendulum.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 532
  • Block-diagram.png
    Block-diagram.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 790
  • Plot2.jpg
    Plot2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.It looks like your system is unstable. The plot you provided shows that the pendulum is oscillating beyond 10 degrees, which means the motor can't keep up with the pendulum and the momentum is not enough to balance the pendulum. You might need to increase the motor's torque or increase the damping to make the system more stable. Another way is to use a PID controller to control the pendulum's angle and momentum.

Related to Simulink Simulation of Inverted Pendulum: Help Needed

1. What is Simulink?

Simulink is a software tool used for modeling, simulating, and analyzing dynamic systems. It is commonly used in engineering and science fields to predict system behavior and design control systems.

2. What is an inverted pendulum?

An inverted pendulum is a pendulum that is unstable in its upright position. It requires continuous control inputs to maintain its balance, making it a popular subject for control system experiments.

3. How can Simulink be used to simulate an inverted pendulum?

Simulink has built-in blocks and tools that allow users to model and simulate inverted pendulum systems. This includes blocks for modeling the pendulum, sensors, actuators, and control algorithms.

4. What is the benefit of using Simulink for inverted pendulum simulations?

Simulink allows for a high level of flexibility and customization in designing and simulating inverted pendulum systems. It also provides real-time visualization of the simulation, allowing for easy analysis and optimization of control strategies.

5. Do I need programming experience to use Simulink for inverted pendulum simulations?

While some knowledge of programming can be helpful, it is not necessary to use Simulink for inverted pendulum simulations. The software has a user-friendly interface and offers pre-built blocks and templates for modeling and simulating systems without extensive coding.