Simultaneous Equations and Fields

In summary, basic arithmetic can be performed with two non-parallel linear equations and the resulting equation also intersects the same point. This is due to the concept of equivalence, where multiplying or adding the same quantities to both sides of an equation results in an equivalent equation. In the context of studying simultaneous equations, this allows for the manipulation and elimination of variables.
Atomised
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What does it mean that basic arithmetic can be performed with two (non parallel) linear equations and that the resulting equation also intersects the same point?

Proof and or anecdotal explanation would be much appreciated.

Homework Equations

If

(α) 3y = 4x + 1

(β) 2y = -x -2

Then

aα + bβ = λ

And there exists x such that α(x) = β(x) = γ(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. If a,b are constant then n(y=ax+b) is logically equivalent to y=ax+b [itex]\forall[/itex]line for all n.

2. The family of equations given by y=n(ax+b)+c all rotate about a point given as follows:

x coordinate given by assuming n=1 and solving for x.
y coordinate given by y=c (in other words assume n=0).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by "[itex]\alpha(x)+ \beta(x)= \gamma(x)[/itex]". Previously you had used "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" and "[itex]\beta[/itex]" as labels for equations in x and y, not quantities, so what does adding them mean? And you have not said what "[itex]\gamma[/itex]" is.

Are you asking for a justification for adding two equations in order to eliminate one variable?

Sorry for unclarity.

I think I should have said aα(x) + bβ(x) = γ(x).

I am investigating what happens when you add and multiply equations in the context of studying simultaneous equations.

All very basic stuff that I glossed over in the past.

I am indeed asking for that justification yes.

If you multiply both sides of an equation by a nonzero constant, you get a new equation that is equivalent to the original. "Equivalent" means the same solution set, so the graph of the modified equation is exactly the same as that of the one you started with.

If you add the same quantity to both sides of an equation, you get a new equation that is equivalent to the one you started with.

For example,
1) 3y = 4x + 1

2) 2y = -x -2

You can multiply the 2nd equation by 4, to get 8y = -4x - 8

If you add the new 2nd equation to equation 1, the result is an equation that has only y in it. In adding the 2nd equation to the 1st, what I'm really doing is adding the same quantities (8y and -4x - 8, which we know are equal) to the left and right sides of equation 1.

BTW, as HallsOfIvy said, you are confusing things by using α and β as equation labels and as functions (e.g., α(x) and β(x)). If you want to identify equations with labels, just use numbers, like I did above.

Likes 1 person
Thanks I have a better understanding of the behaviour of elementary functions now.

Related to Simultaneous Equations and Fields

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that are solved together in order to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations at the same time.

How are simultaneous equations solved?

Simultaneous equations can be solved using various methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations in order to isolate one variable and find its value, which can then be used to solve for the other variables.

What are fields in mathematics?

In mathematics, a field is a set of numbers or values that follow certain rules and properties. These rules include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of identity and inverse elements, and distributivity over addition and multiplication.

How are fields used in simultaneous equations?

In simultaneous equations, fields are used to represent the possible values of the variables. For example, if the equations involve real numbers, the field used will be the set of real numbers. This allows for a systematic approach to solving the equations and finding the solutions.

What are some real-world applications of simultaneous equations and fields?

Simultaneous equations and fields have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and game theory. They can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving multiple variables and constraints, such as optimization and equilibrium problems.

Back