Simultaneously Solve a Linear and Cubic equation

This is a quadratic which can be easily factorised into 2 linear factors. I'm sure you can do that. I hope this helps.In summary, the conversation is about solving two equations simultaneously, y=x^3 and y=3x-2. The person has tried various methods, such as isolating x and substituting it into the other equation, using the rational root theorem, and factorizing the equations. The solution is found by inspecting the equations and plugging in simple numbers, which leads to one solution of x=1. This allows the person to reduce the cubic equation to a quadratic equation and solve it using the quadratic formula.
bartrocs

Homework Statement

Solve the following equations Simultaneously:
y=x^3 and y=3x-2

My question is, how do I solve this? I've tried everything

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to isolate x in the linear equation and substitute it into the cubic. I don't know if that's wrong but it didn't work for me. This is what I did:

isolate x in linear equation: x= -2/3-y/3
substitute this into cubic equation: y=(-2/3-y/3)^3
I then expanded this and it didn't work.

I also tried: 3x-2=x^3
therefore: x^3-3x+2=0
this didn't work either! please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
bartrocs said:

This way is a good start; do you know about the rational root theorem?

By inspection, there is at least one integer solution between 0 and 2 to the two equations.
There is also another integer solution between -3 and -1.

SteamKing said:
By inspection, there is at least one integer solution between 0 and 2 to the two equations.
There is also another integer solution between -3 and -1.
I would prefer you told me the methods for solving the equations rather than the answer. I already know the answer by using my graphics calculator. However this is of no use to me as I want to solve it the proper way without a calculator.

Bohrok said:
do you know about the rational root theorem?
I didn't. But I Googled it and I do know now. Is there any way to do these simultaneously like you can with a quadratic and linear equation?

Try to group the terms so as something can be factor out.

x3-3x-2=(x3-x)-2(x-1).

The rational root theorem is also very useful. It states: For a polynomial equation
anxn+an-1xn-1+...a0=0,

if p is an integer factor of the constant term a0, and q is an integer factor of the leading coefficient an, the rational solution is of the form ±p/q.

In this case, a3=1 and a0=-2, so q=1, and the possible p values are 1 and 2. So you have 4 possible values for x to try if they are roots or not. If one of them (x1) is a root, you can divide the equation by the factor of (x-x1) and you get a quadratic equation to solve.

ehild

bartrocs said:
I would prefer you told me the methods for solving the equations rather than the answer. I already know the answer by using my graphics calculator. However this is of no use to me as I want to solve it the proper way without a calculator.

Believe it or not, inspection is actually the first thing you should always try when given a problem like this. Inspection is an entirely proper technique.

There is some meta-reasoning involved. They can't actually want to make you solve a random cubic, since that would be too difficult. There might be a simple solution. So you mentally plug in the simplest numbers ... 0, 1, -1, 2, etc. And if you do this, you find a solution.

Once you have one solution, you can do a polynomial division to reduce the cubic to a quadratic, which you know how to solve using the quadratic formula.

So even though there are a few more technical things you can and should try; the very first thing you should do is plug in the most obvious simple numbers and see if a solution pops out.

Last edited:
bartrocs said:

That last expression can be easily factorised into 3 linear factors, and I am sure that was supposed to be the next step in the solution.

bartrocs said:

I can see that x=1 will make the LHS = 0, so x=1 is a solution.

Now, take out the factor (x-1).

In your working for this, you divide x3-3x+2 by (x-1)

Last edited:

FAQ: Simultaneously Solve a Linear and Cubic equation

1. What is the difference between a linear and a cubic equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest degree of the variable is 1, while a cubic equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest degree of the variable is 3. This means that a linear equation has one solution, while a cubic equation can have up to 3 solutions.

2. How do you solve a linear and cubic equation simultaneously?

To solve a linear and cubic equation simultaneously, you can use the substitution method. First, solve the linear equation for one variable in terms of the other. Then, substitute this expression into the cubic equation, simplifying it to a quadratic equation. Finally, solve the quadratic equation to find the values of the variable, which can then be used to find the solutions to the cubic equation.

3. Can a linear and cubic equation have no solutions in common?

Yes, it is possible for a linear and cubic equation to have no solutions in common. This means that the two equations do not intersect on a graph and do not have any common solutions.

4. Are there any other methods for solving a linear and cubic equation simultaneously?

Yes, aside from the substitution method, you can also use the elimination method to solve a linear and cubic equation simultaneously. This involves multiplying one or both equations by a constant to make the coefficients of one variable equal in both equations, then eliminating this variable by subtracting the equations. The resulting equation can then be solved to find the remaining variable.

5. What are the applications of solving a linear and cubic equation simultaneously?

Solving a linear and cubic equation simultaneously is useful in solving real-world problems that involve both linear and cubic relationships. For example, it can be used to find the break-even point in a business where the cost (linear) and revenue (cubic) are dependent on the same variable. It can also be used in physics problems that involve both linear and cubic relationships, such as projectile motion.

Back