Sin(Theta) or Cos(Theta) for Ramp problem

• Thread starter Yousufshad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia I of a pulley in a system with two blocks connected by a string passing over the pulley. The block on the incline has a constant acceleration of 2.00 m/s^2 and the equation used to solve for the moment of inertia is T1 - m1gcos(theta) = m1a. The question also clarifies whether the force of gravity on block one should be projected using m1gsin(theta) or cos(theta). The asker suggests checking by considering theta=0 and determining whether the component of gravity should be 0 or mg.
Yousufshad

Homework Statement

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e271/FireFox988/l10g10.gif

The blocks shown in the figure below are connected by a string of negligible mass passing over a pulley of radius r = 0.250 meter and moment of inertia I. The block on the frictionless incline is moving up with a constant acceleration of magnitude a = 2.00 m/s2. What is the moment of inertia I of the pulley?

Homework Equations

Torque=I(alpha)
a=r(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved using T1- m1gcos(theta) = m1a
Is it m1gsin(theta) or cos(theta) for the force of gravity on block one parallel to the T1 force. (like in eq. above or do i use m1gsin(theta))(don't help me solve the problem just want to make sure i projected the gravity on block1 correctly with the parallel force of tension)

Physics news on Phys.org
I always check my own choice by considering theta=0. Would you expect the component of gravity to be 0 or mg then?

Related to Sin(Theta) or Cos(Theta) for Ramp problem

1. What is the relationship between sin(theta) and cos(theta) in a ramp problem?

The sine and cosine functions are trigonometric functions that describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. In a ramp problem, sin(theta) represents the ratio of the opposite side of the ramp (height) to the hypotenuse (length of the ramp), while cos(theta) represents the ratio of the adjacent side of the ramp (length) to the hypotenuse.

2. How do you use sin(theta) and cos(theta) to solve a ramp problem?

To solve a ramp problem, you can use the trigonometric ratios of sin(theta) and cos(theta) in combination with the Pythagorean theorem. By setting up a ratio with the known sides and the unknown angle, you can solve for the missing value using basic algebra.

3. Can you use both sin(theta) and cos(theta) to solve a ramp problem?

Yes, you can use both sin(theta) and cos(theta) to solve a ramp problem. Depending on the given information, one of the two ratios may be more useful in determining the missing value. However, it is always recommended to check your answer using both ratios to ensure accuracy.

4. How do you find the angle theta in a ramp problem using sin(theta) and cos(theta)?

To find the angle theta in a ramp problem, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions of sin^-1 and cos^-1. By plugging in the ratio and solving for theta, you can determine the value of the angle in degrees or radians.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using sin(theta) and cos(theta) for ramp problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using sin(theta) and cos(theta) for ramp problems. Some examples include architecture and construction, where these ratios are used to calculate the necessary incline and length of a ramp for wheelchair accessibility. They are also used in physics, such as calculating the force needed to move an object up a ramp at a given angle.