Sinc function as a sum of cosines

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the sinc function and a sum of cosines. It is mentioned that when plotted, the two functions have a similar graph. The formal proof of this can be found by doing a Fourier series decomposition and finding the integral that corresponds to the inner product in that basis. The formula is also mentioned, with the complete formula for a sum to infinity being log(sinc(x)) = summation of log(cos(x/2^i)) for i = 1 to infinity.
david316
Hello,

If you plot
y=sin(x)/x
and also plot
y = summation of 0.01*cos(n*x/100) over n = 0 to n =100
you essentially get the same graph. Is there any formal proof that relates the sinc function to a sum of cosines.

Thanks

Last edited:
Likes greswd
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hey david316.

You can prove this by doing a Fourier series decomposition over an interval in which you project the function to the sine and cosine bases functions.

It's basically finding the integral that corresponds to the inner product in that basis. For more see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series

david316 said:
Hello,

If you plot
y=sin(x)/x
and also plot
y = summation of 0.01*cos(n*x/100) over n = 0 to n =100
you essentially get the same graph. Is there any formal proof that relates the sinc function to a sum of cosines.

Thanks

do you have a graphical plot demonstrating this?

nvm, I have it.

Do you have a complete formula that considers a sum to infinity? yours is just an approximation

I know that ## sinc(x)=\prod_{i=1}^{\infty}\cos{\left(\frac{x}{2^{i}}\right)}## but is not a sum, if you want a sum you can write:

##\log{sinc(x)}=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\log{\cos{\left(\frac{x}{2^{i}}\right)}}## ...

FAQ: Sinc function as a sum of cosines

1. What is the Sinc function?

The Sinc function, also known as the "sampling function" or "Dirichlet kernel", is a mathematical function that is commonly used in signal processing and Fourier analysis. It is defined as the ratio of the sine function to its argument, and is often used to represent the idealized reconstruction of a continuous signal from a sampled version of that signal.

2. How is the Sinc function related to cosines?

The Sinc function can be expressed as a sum of cosines using the Fourier series expansion. This means that it can be written as an infinite sum of cosine terms with different frequencies and amplitudes. This relationship is important in Fourier analysis, as it allows us to decompose a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal components.

3. What is the significance of representing the Sinc function as a sum of cosines?

Expressing the Sinc function as a sum of cosines allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal and their contributions to the overall shape of the function. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of signals in different systems, and in designing filters and other signal processing techniques.

4. Are there any practical applications of the Sinc function as a sum of cosines?

Yes, the Sinc function as a sum of cosines has many practical applications in fields such as digital signal processing, image processing, and Fourier optics. For example, it is used in the design of anti-aliasing filters for digital audio and video signals, and in the reconstruction of images from their Fourier transform.

5. Can the Sinc function be approximated by a finite number of cosines?

Yes, the Sinc function can be approximated by a finite number of cosines using a truncated Fourier series. However, the accuracy of the approximation will depend on the number of terms used and the specific properties of the Sinc function being approximated. In many practical applications, a finite number of terms is sufficient for accurate results.