Sine Integral Function in differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to the initial value problem x^3y'+2x^2y=10sinx, y(0)=0 in terms of the function Si(x), which represents the integral of sint/t from 0 to x. The attempt at a solution involves dividing the equation by x and integrating to find that y=10x^-2Si(x). However, the answer may not be fully clear without explicitly showing the integral and how the initial condition was used.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

Si(x)=[tex]\int(sint/t)dt[/tex] from 0 to x
integrand is 1 at t=0

express the solutiony(x) of the initial value problem x^3y'+2x^2y=10sinx, y(0)=0 in terms of Si(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y'+2/xy=10x^-3sinx
multiply by x^2
x^2y'+2xy=10x^-2sinx
(x^2y)'=10x^-2sinx
Now I get stuck because I feel like this can't be integrated and I don't think i can just insert Si(x) because I need to account for 10x^-2.

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:

Homework Statement

Si(x)=[tex]\int(sint/t)dt[/tex] from 0 to x
integrand is 1 at t=0

express the solutiony(x) of the initial value problem x^3y'+2x^2y=10sinx, y(0)=0 in terms of Si(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y'+2/xy=10x^-3sinx
multiply by x^2
x^2y'+2xy=10x^-2sinx
(x^2y)'=10x^-2sinx
Now I get stuck because I feel like this can't be integrated and I don't think i can just insert Si(x) because I need to account for 10x^-2.

Divide your original equation by x:

[tex]x^2y'' + 2xy' = 10 \frac {\sin x}{x}[/tex]

which will work for you. You just have an arithmetic mistake.

So I have x^2y'+2xy=10sinx/x
(x^2y)'=10sinx/x
x^2y=10Si(x)
y=10x^(-2)Si(x)

kathrynag said:
So I have x^2y'+2xy=10sinx/x
(x^2y)'=10sinx/x
x^2y=10Si(x)
y=10x^(-2)Si(x)

Your answer may be correct, but you need to show more explicitly the integral and how you used the initial condition y(0) = 1. Your second step isn't clear because the Si function is a definite integral.

Related to Sine Integral Function in differential equation

What is the Sine Integral Function?

The Sine Integral Function, denoted as Si(x), is a special function in mathematics that is defined as the integral of the sine function from 0 to x. It is typically used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations.

What is the purpose of using the Sine Integral Function in differential equations?

The Sine Integral Function is used in differential equations to solve problems involving oscillatory behavior, such as in circuit analysis and wave motion. It helps to express the solution in terms of a well-defined function rather than an infinite series of terms.

How is the Sine Integral Function related to the Exponential Integral Function?

The Exponential Integral Function, denoted as Ei(x), is closely related to the Sine Integral Function. They are both types of special functions that are commonly used to solve differential equations. While the Sine Integral Function is defined in terms of the sine function, the Exponential Integral Function is defined in terms of the exponential function.

What are some properties of the Sine Integral Function?

The Sine Integral Function has several important properties that are useful in solving differential equations. These include the fact that it is an odd function, it is asymptotic to x as x approaches infinity, and it satisfies a differential equation of its own, known as the Sine Integral Equation.

How is the Sine Integral Function calculated?

The Sine Integral Function can be calculated using various numerical methods, such as the Taylor series expansion or the Gauss-Legendre quadrature method. It can also be approximated using a computer software program, such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha, which have built-in functions for calculating the Sine Integral Function.