Single Electron Ions Homework: Find Wavelengths

In summary: So n_\infty = 63.3 nm.In summary, a multiply ionized atom with a single remaining electron produces a series of spectral lines as described by the Bohr model. The series corresponds to electronic transitions that terminate in the same final state. The longest and shortest wavelengths of the series are 63.3 nm and 22.8 nm, respectively.
AnniB

Homework Statement

In a hot star, a multiply ionized atom with a single remaining electron produces a series of spectral lines as described by the Bohr model. The series corresponds to electronic transitions that terminate in the same final state. The longest and shortest wavelengths of the series are 63.3 nm and 22.8 nm, respectively. a.) What is the ion? b.) Find the wavelengths of the next three spectral lines nearest to the line of longest wavelength.

Homework Equations

En = -13.6 Z2/n2
1/ [tex]\lambda[/tex] = R((1/nf2) - (1/no2))

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I'm not even sure where to start. I did try finding nf for the shortest wavelength assuming that the electron started at n = infinity, but it gave a decimal value. The only other thing I can think of is somehow assuming the n in the first equation and the nf in the second are equivalent.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "it gave a decimal value"?

Second equation you are using is probably wrong - depends on what R value you are using. I guess you used R for hydrogen atom.

I got an answer for nf which was something like .50034, which I know can't be right since it has to be an integer.

I used R = 1.097 * 10-7. I don't know how I'd find it for the ion I have especially since I don't even know what it is. My professor also said the only unknowns should be Z and nf.

Okay. I'm using the new equation but for some reason when I try to solve all the variables end up canceling somehow.

I'm assuming that the longest and shortest wavelengths correspond to shifts from no = [tex]\infty[/tex] to nf and no = nf + 1 to nf respectively. Is that valid?

AnniB said:
I'm assuming that the longest and shortest wavelengths correspond to shifts from no = [tex]\infty[/tex] to nf and no = nf + 1 to nf respectively. Is that valid?

Probably yes.

[itex]n_\infty[/itex] wavelength should let you calculate final state - just solve for nf, as

[tex]\frac 1 {n_\infty}[/tex]

is 0.

Related to Single Electron Ions Homework: Find Wavelengths

1. What are single electron ions?

Single electron ions are atoms or molecules that have lost or gained one electron, resulting in a net positive or negative charge.

2. What is the purpose of finding wavelengths in single electron ions homework?

Finding wavelengths in single electron ions homework helps scientists understand the energy levels and transitions of these ions, which can provide valuable information about their structure and behavior.

3. How do scientists find wavelengths in single electron ions?

Scientists use various techniques such as spectroscopy to measure the wavelengths of single electron ions. This involves exposing the ions to different types of electromagnetic radiation and analyzing the resulting spectra.

4. What factors affect the wavelengths of single electron ions?

The wavelengths of single electron ions can be affected by factors such as the type and number of electrons present, the energy levels of the ion, and the type of electromagnetic radiation used to measure the wavelengths.

5. Why is it important to study single electron ions?

Studying single electron ions can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules, and can also have practical applications in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and engineering.