Single Phase Transformer: Short Circuit Experiment Results and Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a question from an exam regarding a single phase transformer with nominal data of 10kV/0/4kV/kV and 100kVA. The question involves a short circuit experiment where the low side of the voltage is shorted and the higher side is fed with 500V, resulting in an electric current of 10A and power of 1kW. The conversation also discusses the correction of the subject line from "transistor" to "transformer" and the use of equations in solving the problem.
dislect
hi guys,
this is a question from an exam about a single phaze transformer and it goes like this, I am sorry for the bad translation in some parts i couldn't find the correct terms:
A single phaze transformer is given with nominal data of - 10k/0/4 kV/kV , 100kVA
A short circuit experiement was done when the low side of the voltage is shorted and the other side (higher side of the voltage) is fed with 500V. The following results came: I=10A , P=1kW

A. what will be the electric current flow and power in the short circuit experiement if the higer side of the voltafe was fed with 400V?
B. we short the higher side of the voltage and feed the transformer on the lower side of the voltage. what should be the feeding voltage in this case to the power will be 1kW? what will be the current?

I gave it a try but it dosent look too succefull could you help me out please?
Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Can you edit the subject line, and change "transistor" to "transformer"?

Is this a 10kV to 4kV transformer?

i tried editing the title right after i posted it and couldn't change it

its 10k to 0.4k

I think you will need to show your calculations for the s/c test using 500v, before anyone can say whether you are doing something wrong.

A useful equation is: [itex] P=V.I.cos\phi[/itex]

Last edited:

You have Zk=Vk/Ik = 1000 ohms
Why isn't it 500v / 10 Amp?

Where did you find the equation: V=V(1-kLuk.cos(phi - uL))
and, more to the point, do you actually use it?

I can't discern some of your subscripts. What does the subscript "k" stand for?

Related to Single Phase Transformer: Short Circuit Experiment Results and Calculations

What is a single phase transformer?

A single phase transformer is a type of electrical transformer that is used to transfer electrical energy between two circuits through electromagnetic induction. It has only one primary winding and one secondary winding, and is commonly used in residential and small commercial applications.

How does a single phase transformer work?

A single phase transformer works by transferring electrical energy from the primary winding to the secondary winding through a magnetic field. When an alternating current flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a voltage in the secondary winding, thus transferring the energy.

What are the different types of single phase transformers?

There are several types of single phase transformers, including step-up transformers, step-down transformers, isolation transformers, autotransformers, and variable transformers. Each type has a specific application and is designed to meet different voltage and power requirements.

What are the advantages of using a single phase transformer?

Single phase transformers are cost-effective and easy to install, making them a popular choice for residential and small commercial applications. They also provide better voltage regulation, isolation of circuits, and can be easily replaced or upgraded if needed.

What are the common problems with single phase transformers?

The most common problems with single phase transformers include overheating, insulation failure, and winding faults. These issues can be caused by overloading, voltage spikes, or poor maintenance. Regular inspections and maintenance can help prevent these problems and ensure the efficient functioning of the transformer.