Single slit diffraction, from an angle

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving single slit diffraction with a slight change. The question is about finding the incident angle for the first null of the diffraction pattern on a line perpendicular to the screen. The formula for minima in single slit diffraction is mentioned and the question is approached by reversing the direction of the light and applying the formula. The person is seeking help with understanding the angle of incidence in this scenario.
mooshasta
I've encountered a standard problem about single slit diffraction, but there's a slight change to the problem and I don't know how it should be dealt with.

The question is:

A plane wave of 400-nm light is incident on a 25-µm slit in a screen, as shown in the figure below. At what incident angle will the first null of the diffraction pattern be on a line perpendicular to the screen?

http://www.tubaroo.com/ssd.PNG
I know the equation for the minima in a single slit diffraction problem is [itex]\sin \theta = m \frac{\lambda}{d}[/itex] where [itex]m[/itex] is 1,2,3,... and [itex]d[/itex] is the width of the slit. I want to say that the question is not as tricky as I'm making it out to be, and that I should just solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] using that equation. But if this were the case, it seems to me that since the light is coming from an angle, the effective width of the slit should be smaller, or something along those lines. I've scoured the internet for this type of situation, but every time I see the single slit diffraction problem, the angle of incidence of the light is 0 degrees.

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just reverse the problem. Treat the porblem as if the light was traveling in the opposite direction and apply your formulae as you would normally.

I can offer some insight into this problem. First, it is important to note that the equation for the minima in single slit diffraction is derived assuming a normal incidence of light, meaning the light is coming in perpendicular to the slit. In this case, with an incident angle, the effective width of the slit will indeed be smaller, but it is not a simple decrease in width. The effective width will depend on the angle of incidence and the actual width of the slit.

To solve this problem, you can use a modified version of the equation you mentioned. Instead of using the actual width of the slit, you can use the effective width, which can be calculated using the actual width and the angle of incidence. This will give you a new equation to solve for the angle at which the first null occurs. However, this approach may not be accurate for small angles and may require a more complex mathematical approach.

Alternatively, you can use a simulation or software to model the diffraction pattern for this specific scenario. This will provide a more accurate result, taking into account the angle of incidence and the actual width of the slit.

In conclusion, the standard equation for single slit diffraction may not be directly applicable in this case and a modified approach or the use of simulation may be needed to accurately solve the problem. I hope this helps in your understanding of the single slit diffraction phenomenon.

FAQ: Single slit diffraction, from an angle

1. What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves pass through a narrow slit and spread out, creating a diffraction pattern on a screen or surface behind the slit.

2. How does the angle affect single slit diffraction?

The angle at which the light waves pass through the slit can affect the diffraction pattern. As the angle increases, the diffraction pattern will become wider and less focused.

3. What is the equation for calculating the angle of single slit diffraction?

The equation for calculating the angle of single slit diffraction is theta = lambda/d, where theta is the angle, lambda is the wavelength of the light, and d is the width of the slit.

4. What factors can affect the intensity of the diffraction pattern?

The intensity of the diffraction pattern can be affected by several factors, including the width of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slit and the surface where the pattern is observed.

5. How is single slit diffraction used in real-world applications?

Single slit diffraction has many practical applications, such as in diffraction grating spectroscopy, which is used to analyze the composition of materials by studying the diffraction pattern of light passing through them. It is also used in the design of optical instruments, such as cameras and telescopes, to improve their resolution and image quality.