Single Slit Diffraction light intensity

In summary, the question is asking whether the shape of the opening behind a viewing screen affects the light intensity on the screen. The equation provided, w=(2λL)/a, can determine the width of the central maximum based on the distance to the viewing screen and the width of the slit. However, since none of these variables were given in the problem, the question is more qualitative in nature. The individual responding to the question believes that the broader slit will result in a broader central maximum, but cannot justify this assumption.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is the light intensity on a viewing screen behind a rectangular opening in a screen. Is the shape of the opening (1), (2), or (3)?

diffraction.jpg

Homework Equations

w=(2λL)/a

where w is the width of the central maximum, L is the distance to the viewing screen, and a is the width of the slit.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm inclined to say (1) ... The first image. I don't know how to justify this assumption, though.

I don't think the equation above can help me because none of the variables were given in the problem statement... So this is more of a qualitative question I presume.

Physics news on Phys.org
When do you see broader central maximum, with a broader slit or with a narrower slit?

ehild

FAQ: Single Slit Diffraction light intensity

What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a narrow opening, such as a slit. This causes the light to spread out and form a diffraction pattern, rather than passing through as a straight beam.

What determines the intensity of the diffraction pattern?

The intensity of the diffraction pattern is determined by the width of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slit and the screen where the pattern is observed.

How does the intensity of the diffraction pattern change with slit width?

As the width of the slit decreases, the intensity of the diffraction pattern increases. This is because a narrower slit causes the light to spread out more, resulting in a more pronounced diffraction pattern.

What is the relationship between wavelength and intensity in single slit diffraction?

The intensity of the diffraction pattern is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the light. This means that as the wavelength increases, the intensity decreases, and vice versa.

Can single slit diffraction be observed with other types of waves?

Yes, single slit diffraction can occur with any type of wave, not just light. It can also be observed with sound waves, water waves, and other types of waves.

Back