Single Slit Exp: Find Number of Minima in 0-19deg Range

In summary, the purpose of a single slit experiment is to study diffraction, which is the bending of waves around an obstacle or through an opening. The experiment involves shining a beam of light through a narrow slit onto a screen and observing the diffraction pattern. The number of minima in the pattern can be used to calculate the size of the slit and the wavelength of the light. The range of angles typically used in a single slit experiment is between 0 and 19 degrees.
dsptl
A single slit with width 819 nm is illuminated with light of wavelength 405 nm. How many
minima occur in the angular range from theta = 0 to theta = ±19deg?

I have an exam tomm please help me out with some problems.

actually, i hv the answer but i don't know how to derive it!

Physics news on Phys.org
i just googled 4 keywords and got the formula, try it! :)

Please Help me though!

tan(theta) = m * Wavelength/SlitWidth

You know all the values except m.
m is the number of minima (it's an integer obviously).

Be careful about the angle, its a plus-minus.

FAQ: Single Slit Exp: Find Number of Minima in 0-19deg Range

1. What is the purpose of a single slit experiment?

The purpose of a single slit experiment is to study the phenomenon of diffraction, which is the bending of waves around an obstacle or through an opening. This experiment helps to understand how light waves behave when they encounter a narrow opening, such as a slit.

2. How does a single slit experiment work?

In a single slit experiment, a beam of light is shone through a narrow slit onto a screen. The slit acts as an obstacle and causes the light waves to diffract. The diffraction pattern is then observed on the screen, showing the interference of the diffracted waves. The number of minima in the pattern can be used to calculate the size of the slit.

3. What is the significance of finding the number of minima in a single slit experiment?

The number of minima in a single slit experiment can be used to determine the size of the slit, as well as the wavelength of the light used in the experiment. This information is important in understanding the properties of light and how it behaves when interacting with different objects.

4. How is the number of minima calculated in a single slit experiment?

The number of minima can be calculated using the formula n = (2w/λ)(sinθ), where n is the number of minima, w is the width of the slit, λ is the wavelength of the light, and θ is the angle between the central maximum and the first minimum. By varying the angle and observing the diffraction pattern, the number of minima can be determined.

5. What is the range of angles typically used in a single slit experiment?

The range of angles used in a single slit experiment is typically between 0 and 19 degrees. This range allows for a clear observation of the diffraction pattern and enough data points to accurately calculate the number of minima. However, the range may vary depending on the specific parameters of the experiment being conducted.